Chapter 41: Speak

Start from the beginning

Fleur was quiet for a long while before smiling. Even though Izumina couldn't see it, she felt it through the warmth in his voice.

"Thanks, kiddo."

...

Izumina stirred slightly before sitting up. Her face scrunched as she tried to stretch, lifting her arms above her head despite the cuffs that encased her wrists, and rolling her shoulders awkwardly. It took a moment for her to realize she was back in her own bed. The soft purple blanket that covered her matched the orchid on the wall.

Her head felt foggy. "No..." she muttered to herself as she brought her hands to her face and rubbed her throbbing temple. "It wasn't a dream."

Suddenly, snapping back to reality, Izumina checked her hand. It was still wrapped in gauze from when she'd felt around the broken coffee table for something to defend herself. Peeling back the bandaging with her teeth, Izumina was greeted by a large scab stretching the length of her palm. No purple particles of healing to be found.

She closed her eyes and tried to steady her breathing as she thought of somewhere safe to teleport to. The local police station she used to pass on her way to Aldera. The beach where she and Izuku trained. U.A.'s front gates...

Nothing.

Her unease grew. She couldn't help but feel vulnerable, almost naked without her quirks.

With shaky hands and sore wrists from the restraints, Izumina pulled the blankets off of her and stood. She was alone in the room, as far as she could tell. Her violin was where she'd left it, propped against her desk in its case. The countless books and journals, which typically littered every surface, were all tucked neatly on the shelf her father had installed for her a couple of years prior. Other than that, nothing looked out of the ordinary.

Overcome by frustration, Izumina thrashed in her cuffs. She put her elbows together before breaking her arms violently in a downward motion. The metal didn't budge. She placed her foot on the short chainlink, bearing down on it with all her weight in hopes of snapping the swivel, to no avail.

Izumina paced the room, fiddling her thumbs with clasped hands for comfort. Despite the circumstances, she was grateful her handcuffs had been locked in front as opposed to behind her back. Glancing towards the window she realized that light was shining through its curtains.

Rushing forward, Izumina clumsily threw back the fabric to see the outside world. The sun blinded her, bringing tears to her eyes, but she refused to look away. She hadn't realized how much she'd missed the sun. It's funny, how easy it is to take some things for granted.

She didn't know what to do, but despite this, a strange calm filled her body. Maybe it was the warmth of the sun kissing her cheeks, perhaps it was the after-effects of the anesthesia. Whatever the reason, Izumina was finding it hard to reason.

As she eyed the pavement below her window a disturbing thought filled her mind... She knew she probably should jump for it, escape by any means necessary, but she couldn't bring herself to do so. Not when the possibility of breaking her legs was practically guaranteed. It'd be futile if she couldn't run away afterwards. Besides, there was still the matter of getting the handcuffs off.

Was she scared? No... this was different. She turned, taking in the familiarity of the room once more. The bedsheets wouldn't be long enough for her to climb out the window. Not in mid-April, when she slept with only one thin blanket to combat the warmth. On top of that, there was nothing sturdy enough to hold her weight if she were to tie a makeshift rope.

She looked again for something, anything she could use to her advantage. Only the past stared back at her, in the form of three smiling faces encased in a wooden frame.