Chapter 14 - One Direction, Heaven and Hell

Between one thing and another, in the midst of so many unexpected facts in her life since the beginning of that December, when Debbra had rescued Harry from the side of the road, at risk of dying of hypothermia or being run over, she had not noticed the time passing. And how it flew by! Waking up after Loui's visit, Debbra realized it was the 22nd. She woke to the alarm of a text message, reminding her of a get-together lunch with the publishers.

This kind of event always excited her and this year's Christmas lunch had been scheduled well in advance, still in mid-November. She had been excited. Now, however, Debbra had her head in the plots involving Harry and his former bandmates. It wasn't comfortable acknowledging that, she thought. After all, Debbra always prided herself on having her own life, her own interests, her own schedule.

Still, she tried not to blame herself too much. After all, it's not every day that someone instantly becomes a savior and "friend" (or is it lover?) of one of the world's biggest popstars and, by extension, bonds with their famous former colleagues. Debbra wasn't dazzled, she had worked with celebrities for a long time. But for various reasons, that whole situation was very different. So she forgave herself for being more concerned with the possible reunion of the five boys than with her own co-workers, her bosses, her professional universe.

Even without so much enthusiasm, Debbra began to prepare for the company get-together. The day was cloudy and very cold, she decided to run just three kilometers through the streets of her own neighborhood, had a hearty breakfast and organized her office and her apartment. On the way back from her run, she stopped by a small flower shop in the neighborhood and bought a medium-sized pine tree, which she bravely carried up the stairs herself. He decorated it with balls and Christmas decorations, rescued a beautiful wreath that he had received as a gift from relatives in Italy and placed it on the front door. He set up a delicate nativity scene brought from Brazil and complemented everything with beautiful clotheslines of small lights that gave a very welcoming look to his living room. Everything was beautiful, yet simple. She felt satisfied.

When he went to shower, Harry called. She already imagined the matter. "Hi, it's going to be today, it's going to be in the afternoon. Is that okay with you? You can and should even stay with us if you want. Everyone has confirmed it, except Zyan. But Loui thinks he won't leave us talking alone", he amended.

Debbra was already prepared. "You're welcome, Harry. I'll leave the keys under the rug, you come and get the guys. I'm going out to lunch with the publishing people later on. I shouldn't be free until around five o'clock. I'll send you a message to see if it's better for me to come home or stay outside. I don't want to disturb your conversation, which, by the looks of it, is going to be a long one", she said.

Harry agreed and before hanging up he thanked her. "Without you this wouldn't have happened, Debbra. For a lot of reasons. If you hadn't gotten me out of this mess, the guys would have flocked to my wake, probably. And without your ability to gather people and throw water on fires, we wouldn't have been able to. it would have been understood to the point of this meeting happening. You are largely responsible for this. Niall helped, it's true. But without you, nothing done", he said.

Debbra was embarrassed, yet happy. "I just hope, Harry, that you don't fight. That it's a good, grown-up date. Whether you decide to do something together later, artistically or not."

Around noon, Debbra left the house to meet her company friends at a charming restaurant in Soho. It was a lovely place, everyone was happy, the year had been very good and Project Prince was one of the great accounts the publisher had taken on, with great prospects for success and profit.

As the company staff slowly arrived, Debbra tried to relax and enjoy the moment. She ordered a gin and tonic, chose a place at the table that allowed her to see the bucolic landscape of the street, with many Christmas lights already on and many people passing from one side to the other, with bags of gifts and a lot of excitement.