Twelve

There was someone else behind it all. The memories were hazy, as if almost adjusting to his casual slips between consciousness, but already he was starting to know more and more without remembering.

A tunnel hidden behind a portion of wall that was only accessible to Reapers to symbols that had now become decipherable for him- Line 3, towards Ogeum. Chungmuro Station. He thanked God that Korea was starting to rub off on him- both physically and mentally.

In that fact that he had actually learnt the Korean language in two days due to his hyper-advancing nature, something a more human side of himself would have considered impossible.

Ethan wasn't sure what 'impossible' meant anymore.

But a more guilty part of him chewed at the fact that the symbiotic part of Lavina's minion had died for that information.

Information that he knew could just as well permanently cripple the Bleaks' latest plans. Ethan had now confided in himself that no more innocent lives were going to be lost on account of his inexperience. And with more than two dozen guards positioned outside the door and the gazes of researchers through the translucent window door, he knew it was not going to be easy.

Getting out of the hospital wasn't going to be easy- because of the extent of the merge, the doctors there had decided to keep him in for overnight observation. The more he pulled at the straps, the more his muscles were stretched and stiffened into boards. The inactivity, coupled with his suddenly reeling and working mind, was deadening.

Ethan had to get out of here. Now.

His only salvation lay in the form of a two by four glass window which illuminated the outward smear of the neon metropolis for his darting eyes. But he had no idea how far it could shutter, even if he could slip through the specially designed straps.

He remembered what Honor Riley had said during his first lesson with her- that all they could do know, their powers were only the tip of the iceberg. That only meant they'd grow stronger as they got older.

Ethan remembered it all and then something clicked in his head. With concentration, they'd be able to advance. By instinct, he lay rigid on the bed and shut his eyes.

Okay, you can do this. Calm yourself. Control yourself. Calm yourself.......

The mantra went on his head for the next few seconds as he lulled himself into a dull trance. It wasn't the sudden grey that consumed his closed vision as he trusted his deeper instincts, but it was the eerie sense of peacefulness he had. There was almost a feeling that he was a separate entity from his physical body.

In a way, it almost felt like death.

But Ethan had only just come alive.

The images came in sharp, unrepentant flashes.

Malevolent whispers.

Whimpers of protest and pain.

A claw piercing unprotected skin.

A body slumping to the floor.......

Ethan's body jolted up against his restraints out of shock, his brow suddenly heavy with sweat.