1.7

"Uh, I think you broke Marinette Mister." Alya said. Violet turned her head towards the blue haired girl, who seemed to be mumbling something into her hands. How abnormal, Marinette didn't look broken, and if she was, how would the Lieutenant Colonel, Mr. Hodgins she meant, have done it without even laying a finger on the younger girl? 

Parisians were a weird people, but then again, the way most people acted outside of the FFL was foreign to Violet. 

"Oh, uh, sorry?" Mr. Hodgin's rubbed the back of his neck, a smile on his face. Benedict stood behind him, as confused as Violet was, albeit the older man's face was just a tad more expressive. 

"Violet was just telling us all about you!" Alya continued. Marinette was still mumbling into her hands, her ears a shade of red. Was she angry or embarrassed? Or did she have high blood pressure that caused her ears to change colors? 

"Oh really, all good things I hope." Benedict spoke up this time. Violet remained standing, her face impassive even though her eyes kept glancing towards Marinette. If an akuma appeared, then Violet was going to have to step in, with force if necessary until Ladybug arrived, if she arrived. 

"Always try to save people when you can." Major Gilford said as he led Violet through a bazaar. "Sometimes we have to make hard decisions, to sacrifice one life to save many more-" 

He paused, and clenched his fist. 

"I hope you won't have to make a decision like that one day." 

"I didn't mention you, Mr. Blue." Violet said. This time it was Benedict's turn to turn a shade of red. Was there something in the air? How weird, the other patrons weren't turning red. "I was simply explaining the nature of my relationship with Mr. Hodgins." 

Each word seemed like they physically punched Benedict, which was impossible. Maybe they shouldn't have eaten here, even though Violet wasn't displaying any of their symptoms. 

"Ah, I see." Mr. Hodgin's finally stopped rubbing his neck. "It's nice to see that Violet's making friends." 

Yes, Violet would definitely be mentioning this in her report to the Major once school was over. He still hadn't responded, but Violet was sure that he would have new orders for her once he returned from his classified mission. 

Lieutenant Colonel Hodgin's said so. 

Alya elbowed Marinette in the side, stirring the blue haired girl from her hands.

"Yeah! We love making new briends, I mean friends!" Marinette said. Hm, once they returned to the school Violet would have to inform the nurse and Mrs. Bustier of Marinette's condition. Just in case she was sick, or poisoned. 

It wouldn't be the first time Violet saw one of her comrades fall over dead from eating improperly cooked meals, but Violet would do her best to prevent that from happening to a civilian. 

"Well, Benedict and I will let you three finish your meal." Mr. Hodgins turned his eyes to the menu and grabbed Mr. Blue by the elbow. "It was nice meeting you two!" 

Violet performed a salute as the two went towards the line to order, again gaining the attention of the other patrons. Was that such a weird occurrence here? This would have to be another entry in her notebook full of notes about civilian life, one of the orders the Major had left for her according to Mr. Hodgins. 

She was good at following orders, the Major's brother said so.

--------

"What was that, Marinette?" 

Marinette was in the middle of finishing her quiche when Alya spoke up. Giving their blonde companion a glance, whose facial expressions remained the same even as she ate, Marinette turned to her best friend with a sheepish smile on her face. 

"I may have accidently ran into him on my way to school." Marinette admitted. "Literally." 

"Ouch." Alya took a large bite of her sandwich, chewing as she thought. Violet kept picking at her salad, though she did observe each vegetable before stuffing them in her mouth. "I can see why you would be embarrassed, Paris is a pretty large city." 

The stranger she had ran into this morning, who just so happened to be Violet's guardian, only made Marinette feel more embarrassed. Well, at least Adrien wasn't here, his presence would just make things worse. 

"Yeah." Marinette turned her head in Violet's direction. "Do you like the food, Violet?" 

The beautiful blonde girl moved her head ever so slightly. "It's much tastier than the MRE's that I'm used to eating." 

It wasn't a yes, but it was good enough for Marinette! 

"I'm glad." Marinette smiled. Violet stared at her emotionlessly in return, stabbing a piece of lettuce with her fork, lifting it up to eye level before eating it.  

A silence descended on their table, amidst the bustling cafe. Violet didn't speak much without being spoken to first, and her face never changed or showed any emotion despite Alya's questions. Thankfully, Marinette was able to finish her lunch without an akuma attack disturbing her. That more than made up the slightly awkward company. 

Still, it made Marinette wonder, what made Violet turn out this way? 

-------

"I have visuals on the hostages." 

"Don't engage, the Americans are on their way." 

"They won't be here in time! They're getting ready to shoot! We need to move in now." 

"Damn, contact Bougainvillea's dog, we can't risk the Americans getting pissed off if one of their people got killed." 

A/N

Sorry it's been so long since the last update! I got hit with writers block and had been focusing on my other stories where I am inspired to write. 

None of my stories are ever canceled! I just work on them slowly until Im struck by inspiration or force myself to type something on the google doc. 

Violet is a pretty hard character to write. I want to get her inner voice just right, so it takes longer than usual to write a single chapter compared to Weiss in my other stories. 

I hope the wait was worth it!