1.4

Hodgins was nervous. Actually, that was the understatement of the entire century! Hodgins was downright terrified. Pacing around his office while chewing on his thumbnail, he kept glancing at the clock. Was it lunchtime yet at Violet's school? Was she making any friends? Has she killed anybody yet? Violet had extraordinary reflexes, but could she be able to control them? 

I-Is she having fun? Gilbert's wish was for Violet to live a normal, happy life, to make friends and finally be a normal girl, not a soldier. Hopefully everything will be fine. Gilbert would know what to do. During the war, Hodgins had only met Violet a few times. Most of what he knew about her exploits on the battlefield were from other soldiers, and what Gilbert had decided to share with him. Still, Hodgins assisted Violet when she was in the military hospital, and he would care for her as if she was his own! He promised Gilbert, it was the least Hodgins could do for his old friend. 

Hodgins never noticed someone entering his office. 

"If you keep pacing around your office you're going to end up with a ditch." 

Hodgins flinched and grabbed his right hand with his left. It kept trying to reach for a gun that was not there. He still had to sleep with noise canceling headphones whenever someone decided to light fireworks. 

"You know you shouldn't scare me like that, Cattleya." Hodgins sighed and glanced at the clock again. 

"I'll make sure to make a note of that, Claudia." Cattleya smirked as the buxom woman sauntered up to him. Hodgins bit his lip from making a retort. "What's wrong? Cat got your tongue? Don't tell me you're still embarrassed that your parents were expecting a girl and ended up with you instead." She teased. 

"No! It's Violet that I'm worried about. Besides, shouldn't you be getting ready? Your session starts soon." Cattleya was his star news reporter, and the reason they got many viewers to tune in. 

Cattleya waves him off. "I have a few minutes to spare." Her eyes softened. "It's Violet's first day of school right?" 

Hodgins nodded. "It should be lunchtime about now. I hope she actually eats instead of coming up with an excuse like she always does. I had to order her to eat bread for breakfast!" 

"Why don't you call her to check?" Cattleya asked as she sat on his desk, legs crossed. Hodgins scratched the back of his head. That actually sounded like a good idea! 

"That's a great idea!" Hodgins pulled his phone out of his pocket. Dialing Violet's number, Hodgins didn't have to wait long for her to respond. 

"Hey Violet! Is it your lunchtime yet?" Hodgins said before she could answer. 

"Yes sir, it is my break now." She had better not be standing at attention. 

"Good. Now I want you to go and eat lunch, no excuses! That's an order. Has anyone asked you to go eat lunch with them yet?" 

Violet's silence was all that Hodgins needed to know. 

"Go and ask them if the invitation is still open. Gilbert wanted you to make friends." Hodgins sighed. Violet was going to cause him to go grey early. 

"Very well." Was all that Violet said and the call ended. 

"I swear that girl is going to be the end of me." Hodgins flopped onto his chair. Cattleya was attempting to hold in her laughter, and failing badly. 

Just as she was about to open her mouth, a knock came at the door. 

"Come in." Hodgins sat up and fixed his tie. Cattleya jumped off of the desk and straightened her short dress. 

A short American girl with light brown hair and glasses walked in. Glancing at the two of them, she adjusted her glasses and cleared her throat. 

"They're ready for you downstairs, Mrs. Cattleya." Erica said, bowing her head slightly. 

"I see. Thank you, Erica!" Cattleya gave the bespectacled girl a smile and moved to leave. She paused at the door and turned her head towards Hodgins. 

"Have some faith. I'm sure Violet will adapt quickly." Cattleya and Erica left after that, leaving Hodgins alone in his office. 

Maybe he was overreacting, still he just couldn't shake the feeling off. How would Violet react to an akuma? Would she back off and allow Ladybug and Cat Noir to handle the job? Or would she jump in to help? 

Sadly, Hodgins already knew the answer to his question. 

Marinette decided that she liked Violet. Despite being a girl of few words and not really showing any expressions on her face, Marinette could tell that deep down, Violet was a kind person. She was a bit quiet, only speaking when spoken to, but that could be fixed in no time! Kagami was one of Marinette's friends, so she was used to the cold expressions and responses. 

"How long were you in Afghanistan?" Alya asked as the trio walked the street. The cafe by the new news station was only a few minutes walk away from school. 

"About a year and a half." Violet answered immediately, with the same expression she had when she introduced herself to the class. Marinette wanted to slap Alya on the back of her head, but the French-Creole stood to the other side of Violet. 

"Where are you from?" Marinette asked as they crossed an empty street. Hopefully Hawkmoth could keep his akumas to himself today. 

"If you mean my ancestry, then I believe that my DNA results said that I am of German and Norwegian ancestry." That easily explained her blonde hair and blue eyes. "If you mean where I was born and grew up, then I am not sure." 

Marinette could only nod in response, not wanting to press more. She didn't want to alienate Violet by asking too many questions. Her eyes were drawn to the beautiful green brooch that was on Violet's shirt. It didn't look like a French design. 

"How are you enjoying class so far?" Alya started typing on her phone as she walked. 

"I have never been to school before, so I'm afraid that I have no other experiences to compare it to." 

Wait a minute.Was this Violet's first day of school ever? This could only mean one thing. 

They had to throw Violet a welcome party. 

Yay! 

A/N

I love writing this story despite the lack of views. It's something that I can't hold in so Ill try to keep writing until I lose inspiration.