Chapter 24: Crying

Start from the beginning

"I- yes, I'd love to," I told him.

*End Flashback*

It had been a few days. We had hung out some, and things were mostly normal between us. Except now I had to face the "fangirls" back at school.

Perks of being popular: popularity.

Downsides of being popular: so many people thought they had to be directly involved in your life and know everything that happened to you exactly when it happened.

Fun.

I walked closer to the school with Charlotte, who was strangely silent. Recently, she had been babbling about Blaze to me all the time, and though I was starting to think she could do well with some duct tape, I was happy that she was happy. But now she just seemed upset.

"Charlotte?" I asked quietly. Her eyes flicked over in my direction but she didn't acknowledge me, just walked a little faster. I gave it up; she obviously didn't want to talk.

As soon as we reached the school, a crowd of girls flocked around us.

"Jennifer," one squealed. "I totally ship Flennifer!"

Flennifer?

"What the hell?" Charlotte asked. "Get out of here, everyone!" She yelled. She sounded angry. I looked at her and grabbed her arm, hurrying her inside. Tears were shining in the corners of her eyes. Something was majorly wrong.

"Oh, Charlotte," I said, pulling her through the halls towards the back wall. "I'm such a bad friend."

She was trying to look like she was fine, but she was biting her lip and her eyes looked watery.

I pulled her down on the wall next to me. "Tell me everything."

The tears started streaming down her cheeks as I waited for her to speak.

"Blaze and I broke up," she finally choked out, and started crying.

I scooted closer to her and wrapped her in a hug. "Oh, Charlotte. When?"

"Last night," she sniffled.

The door was shoved open and our heads shot up.

"Calista, I'm so glad it's you, come here," I pleaded. She took in our situation and sat down on the other side of Charlotte, rubbing her back and comforting her. She looked up at me and our eyes met.

Blaze? She mouthed. I nodded. Callie scowled towards the door and made a slit throat motion with her free hand.

"How'd you find us?" I asked after a moment.

Callie shrugged. "Some freshman told me she saw you two run out here. I figured it was bad."

Charlotte started crying all over again and I tilted her chin up so I could face her.

"Wanna go home and eat ice cream?" I asked. She nodded, wiping her face with the back of her hand and stood with Callie and I's help.

CJ walked through the hall ahead of us, yelling at anyone who stopped to wonder why Charlotte was crying.

~~~~~

"He isn't worth this," Callie told Charlotte. We were sitting on her couch downstairs, swarmed in blankets and pillows as we tried to comfort her.

Charlotte choked on a sob. "That's the thing, though, he was. I mean, he is."

I sighed. "Look, you shouldn't be crying this much over that idiot."