VII. WE DIDN'T START A FIRE

𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝘀𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗻 𝘄𝗲 𝗱𝗶𝗱𝗻'𝘁 𝘀𝘁𝗮𝗿𝘁 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗳𝗶𝗿𝗲 (𝗯𝗶𝗹𝗹𝘆 𝗷𝗼𝗲𝗹)

❝ 𝚆𝚎 𝚍𝚒𝚍𝚗'𝚝 𝚜𝚝𝚊𝚛𝚝 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚏𝚒𝚛𝚎
𝙸𝚝 𝚠𝚊𝚜 𝚊𝚕𝚠𝚊𝚢𝚜 𝚋𝚞𝚛𝚗𝚒𝚗𝚐, 𝚜𝚒𝚗𝚌𝚎 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚠𝚘𝚛𝚕𝚍'𝚜 𝚋𝚎𝚎𝚗 𝚝𝚞𝚛𝚗𝚒𝚗𝚐
𝚆𝚎 𝚍𝚒𝚍𝚗'𝚝 𝚜𝚝𝚊𝚛𝚝 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚏𝚒𝚛𝚎
𝙽𝚘, 𝚠𝚎 𝚍𝚒𝚍𝚗'𝚝 𝚕𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝 𝚒𝚝, 𝚋𝚞𝚝 𝚠𝚎 𝚝𝚛𝚒𝚎𝚍 𝚝𝚘 𝚏𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝 𝚒𝚝 ❞

❝ 𝚆𝚎 𝚍𝚒𝚍𝚗'𝚝 𝚜𝚝𝚊𝚛𝚝 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚏𝚒𝚛𝚎𝙸𝚝 𝚠𝚊𝚜 𝚊𝚕𝚠𝚊𝚢𝚜 𝚋𝚞𝚛𝚗𝚒𝚗𝚐, 𝚜𝚒𝚗𝚌𝚎 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚠𝚘𝚛𝚕𝚍'𝚜 𝚋𝚎𝚎𝚗 𝚝𝚞𝚛𝚗𝚒𝚗𝚐𝚆𝚎 𝚍𝚒𝚍𝚗'𝚝 𝚜𝚝𝚊𝚛𝚝 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚏𝚒𝚛𝚎𝙽𝚘, 𝚠𝚎 𝚍𝚒𝚍𝚗'𝚝 𝚕𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝 𝚒𝚝, 𝚋𝚞𝚝 𝚠𝚎 𝚝𝚛𝚒𝚎𝚍 ...

Having to share your space with a dozen of prisoners was agonising, though Rocket could live with it as long as it wasn't more than for one night. Considering that a plan of escape was already forming in his head, it was very unlikely. Which didn't change the fact that snoring of the people around was annoying the hell out of him, and it had been merely two hours after the lights went out. There was still about six more yet to pass... Hopefully, they were going to pass quickly.

Rocket's ear jerked at the sound of footsteps approaching as someone was making their way down the corridor, in the direction of the sleeping area. When they came closer, he opened one eye to see who in the world was wandering around at this hour. Upon seeing the purple-skinned girl, both his eyes snapped open and he lifted himself up to find out what was she looking for.

"Whatcha doin', kid?" he asked in a hushed voice. Naverrie stopped on her tracks and she looked down at Rocket with a startled expression.

"I'm... Well, I couldn't sleep," she said quickly, rubbing her arm in embarrassment. Rocket raised an eyebrow at her ─ he wasn't convinced if it was the real reason.

"You're gonna get yourself killed sneaking around like that," he pointed out. "You still gotta make Yondu pay me more for delivering that moron over to him."

Naverrie stayed quiet for a shorter while. She glanced at Groot, who was peacefully sleeping with his back against the wall and with his own roots stretching out on the concrete.

"At least he's able to fall asleep in this place," she muttered. "Why ain't you sleeping?"

"Take a guess," Rocket grumpled and, as if on cue, one of the inmates snored so loudly that it starled Naverrie yet again.

"Okay, that's understandable," she exclaimed, nodding to him.

Suddenly, they heard a commotion down in the neighborhood corridor, to which they snapped their heads in that direction. There was a woman yelling as she struggled, male laughs followed it. It might've indicate that they were dragging her to somewhere.

"Is that Gamora?" Naverrie whispered with wide eyes.

Rocket shrugged his shoulders. In comparison to her, he wasn't affected by it in the slightest. "I said she'd last no more than a day."