Chapter 6: A Stranger On The Street

Start from the beginning

"But it was an accident," Nick said, not releasing his grip on Ali.

"No," Ali said, her voice thick, as though she was about to cry. "I wasn't trying to hurt her, but it doesn't matter. I can't be here if I'm going to lose control and hurt her."

Ali struggled to get free and tears ran down her cheeks. "Let me go. Please. Just let me go."

She burst into tears, and Nick hugged her hard. "I love you, Ali. And I know how much you love Chloe. I saw the look on Chloe's face when you two were dancing together. She's so proud of you because she knows you're capable of being good."

"But I hurt my little sister," Ali sobbed.

"Ali, stop," Nick said lovingly. "You're trying, and that's all that matters."

Ali cried into Nick's shoulder, remorseful and regretting what she'd done. But Chloe knew what Ali was going to do next.

A half hour later, Nick was asleep on the floor in the sleeping bag he'd shoplifted from a nearby store—Ali made him sleep there because she wanted to sleep with Chloe on the mattress. Ali sat on the floor, watching Chloe as she pretended to sleep. Her eyes darted back and forth, pondering what she should do. Then she glanced at the door.

Ali looked back at Chloe, then at Nick. She slowly got up and crept out of the room. Chloe opened her eyes fully and listened for any sounds of Ali. Feeling brave, she quietly got out of bed and went to the door. As she peered out into the hall, she saw a black-hooded shape slip downstairs to the first level of the townhouse. She realized Ali must have tiptoed the entire way down because she didn't hear any footsteps.

Chloe waited until she heard a creaking sound, as though a door was being opened. Click. Chloe ran downstairs and waited a few more seconds. Then she opened the door and stared out at the woods. A figure darted in and out of the trees.

And then Chloe took off running.

Chloe ran close behind Ali, hiding behind the trees. They didn't run far, though, because Ali tripped over something and fell to her knees. Ali looked at the object she just tripped over, then behind her. She scanned the trees, but Chloe stayed hidden.

Ali picked up the item that caused her to fall and stared at it. She traced it with her finger, as though she were remembering something very significant. Then she put her ear to it, listening for sounds of the ocean: It was a seashell.

Chloe watched Ali as she took the seashell from her ear and placed it in her lap. Ali put her head down and began fidgeting with a beaded bracelet on her right wrist, the one Chloe had given her the week of the Poconos fire. With her hair over her face and her bottom lip stuck out ever-so-slightly, she looked much more fragile and weaker than she ever had. Much more innocent, too.

But that was because that was the true Ali.

Moments later, Ali got to her feet and started running the same way she came. Chloe ran ahead of Ali, making it out of the woods and back into the townhouse. She shut the door behind her, bolted up the stairs, and jumped back into bed, as though she'd never left. When she saw a shadow pass by the door out in the hall, she closed her eyes slightly, pretending to be asleep. But she saw Ali come into the room, a warm smile on her face and the seashell in her hands.

That was the Ali Chloe knew and loved. It was the same Ali who used sing her to sleep every night. The same Ali who would sit on her bed when she woke up scared in the middle of the night until she fell back asleep. The same Ali who took care of her when she wasn't feeling well. The same Ali who found her asleep under the bed when no one else could find her around the house. The same Ali who she shared food with at the dinner table.