XI. Our Day of the Dead

Start from the beginning

"I think we should continue it tonight...for Darwin as well," Raven suddenly said, causing many to look down.

No one had forgotten the sacrifice of the mutant, who died unfairly at the hands of Saw while protecting the others. The mood turned grim, many still missing the man they had just started to know.

Melinda felt the most guilty, for she was the one in the Taxi to enlist him, and she was the one who had told him to look after the others and keep them safe.

A cold hand was placed upon hers, not even having realised that she had clenched hers in a tight fist. She looked from her plate to the owner of the hand, seeing Erik staring ahead into space; his jaw clenched at the memory of Saw.

Whether he placed his hand to support her or to control himself, she did not know. However, she was thankful for his contact for it somehow eased slightly what she felt inside her aching heart.

"I think it's a good idea. Everyone can join for any loved one that you miss, " Charles said, trying to save the mood. "We can meet in the living room at 8 o clock, and we will show you the place."

There were small mutters of agreement, everyone too deep in thought.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

The rest of the day passed fast, the mood of everyone having shifted to a more quiet and slightly grim one. No one could blame them, as they all thought of who they wanted to honour and whom they truly missed.

Melinda was no exception, and she had found herself in her room for the past two hours. Barely coming out, she sat on her desk and stared at the piece of paper in her hands. On it, different names had been written neatly one beneath the other.

There was a knock at the door before someone entered. "Haven't seen you for a while, I came to check," Erik said as he closed the door behind him, seeing her slouching in her desk chair.

"Yeah, sorry... just needed some time alone to write," she admitted, and she heard his faint sepsis against the wooden floor as he approached her.

He stood behind her and peeked a glance at her paper, seeing the many names written on it. He lifted an eyebrow, not expecting her to have such a big list.

Surprisingly, he did not see the names of Charles's parents anywhere, nor did he see any other names that he speculated were her parents. Instead, the word 'father' & 'mother' was among the names.

"I can see that," was all he commented.

She let out a heavy sigh and leaned back on her chair. "Let me guess, you wonder about the many names; don't you?" She asked, not even seeming to mind his curiosity.

She did not blame him.

"It did draw my attention, but if you do not wish to share it, I will not pressure you," he admitted and sat at the edge of her desk, looking at her.

She gave a small smile, showing how grateful she was for his kind character and understanding nature. Many might consider him a cold or emotionless man, but she knew otherwise. He had plenty of emotions, plenty of hidden sides that he showed to anyone... anyone but her.

"It's a...complicated story... you might think I am crazy," she admitted, looking down at her lap where her hands rested there while the paper had been left on the desk.

A rough hand was gently placed beneath her chin, making her look up at him. She looked into his light blue eyes and face, once again taking in every detail she had grown to love and adore.

"Don't have so little faith in me," he said, looking down at her as he still held her chin.

She looked up at him with those brown eyes, lips parting faintly at the position but also the intensity of his gaze. After a moment of silence, she decided that she could trust one more person with her secret.