43 ¦ I'll Catch You If You Fall

Jay said goodbye to me with a kiss, which I couldn't quite enjoy, and I silently followed Heeseung to his car. When I sat down next to him in the passenger seat, he looked at me, his expression still as blank as it had been in the restaurant.

"Are you okay?" Only his voice let out a little emotion. I bit my lip and faked a happy smile. "Yeah sure." I frowned and laughed uncertainly "What should be?" He squinted his eyes suspiciously before sighing briefly. "If you say so." he then grumbled and started the engine.

He didn't speak again until we stopped in front of our houses. "If he's hassling you, let me know, okay?" I looked down at my hands and nodded, then looked up, feeling the need to defend Jay. "He wasn't trying to push me." I said softly "He's not like that, I know that."

Heeseung avoided my gaze, but he reached for my hand and squeezed it lightly as a sign that I could still come to him if something was wrong and that gesture meant a lot to me.

When I woke up the next morning, I thought about how strangely my life had turned out. How ironic that my steady boyfriend's best friend was my fake boyfriend, of all people, and how strange that he, of all people, who I didn't like at first, suddenly made me feel like he was there for me.

I didn't do anything all day and crashed in my room going through a season of Fire Force and a book. For some reason, I lacked the drive to get up and do anything productive, and I still felt a little down about the Jay thing.

While I told myself that he just hadn't noticed my signs, something inside of me still worried. What if something like that happened again and then there was no one there to help me? Would Jay really go further than I would like?

I stubbornly repressed the questions, but still they kept bubbling up inside me. Towards evening, my phone rang and I answered it without looking at the display. "Hello?" I said, waiting for an answer on the other end of the line. "Hey" I recognized Jay's voice after a short silence.

"Hi what's up" "Nothing", again a hesitation. "Hey, I was thinking about last night." I climbed out of bed and walked over to my desk. "Yeah what?" "Well, I think... I think I went a little too far." I nodded, but Jay couldn't see that.

"Listen Clara. I don't know what was wrong with me, but I'm never going to do anything you don't want me to do again. To be honest, I didn't even realize anything was wrong at that moment. I was just.... Oh I don't know, but I was acting like an ass." He mumbled something to himself then continued.

"Anyway, I'm not like that. And I swear to God it will never happen again." I smiled slightly, "It's okay." I replied cautiously. "Really?", his voice sounded genuinely reassured. A soft laugh escaped me. "Yeah, nothing happened, you just didn't realize I didn't want to."

A knock on the window made me look up. Heeseung's head popped up there and I realized he was leaning on the windowsill with difficulty. I just shook my head and walked over. While I tucked the cell phone under my chin and Heeseung opened the window, Jay kept talking.

"Okay. Sweetie I'm honestly sorry all right?" Absently I nodded, "Yeah yeah, it's fine!" I looked to Heeseung who indicated that he didn't want to climb in with me, but that I should climb out with him. I shook my head, whereupon Heeseung climbed in and tried to pull me with him.

"No, I won't do it," I whispered. At the end of the line Jay's voice rang out again "Is anyone with you?", he asked curiously. Heeseung wouldn't let go of me.  "Wait!" I hissed, then to Jay, "Excuse me? sorry."

"Who's with you?" His voice sounded suspicious. "Is it Heeseung?" Jealousy was audible from his voice. I perplexedly said nothing for a moment, thinking about what to answer. "It's Heeseung, right?" He snorted angrily and muttered something under his breath that I couldn't understand.

"No!" I answered quickly. "No I'm alone. Well, not quite, because my dad is still in the room, but otherwise I'm alone. "Your dad..." The suspicion was still there. "Yes. Yes he just asked me for the remote so he could switch." I lied, ignoring the look Heeseung gave me. "Okay." "Yup."

I fell silent and so did he. Okay this was a little awkward... Heeseung tapped his fingers impatiently on my desk top. "Alright" I finally spoke up. "Ehm, I have to hang up now we are having a family night." "Alright, I'll see you Monday baby." Baby? "Uh, yeah see you then. Sleep tight." And I hung up.

Heeseung grinned with raised eyebrows. "Your dad, huh?" I sighed and grabbed a sweater from my closet because there was quite a draft through the open window. "What was I supposed to say?" "That it's me?" I laughed "Sure, so he'd come over and you guys could go back to bitching at each other like two girls in kindergarten."

Heeseung shrugged, then gestured to windows. "Are you coming now?" I crossed my arms in front of my chest "You can forget that." "Are you scared?" I snorted annoyed, "No, but I'm not keen on pneumonia." I countered.

"Come on. Don't be like that. You can have my jacket if you're cold." He came over to me and grabbed my hands, slowly pulling me behind him. "I'll catch you if you fall down I promise." He said with a wink and was already swinging out of the window.

A/N: Heeseung will you catch me 2?😭