"Wow. That's great." Only her daughters' could hear Lorelai's irony in that sentence.

"Your father and I are golf rivals. We're still fighting it out to see which is worse." Everybody laughs at the Headmaster's joke but Lorelai.

"Oh, yes. We're all old friends." Emily complemented the conversation. "Now, I don't think we should take up any more of your precious time. Hanlin, it was lovely to see you. Give Bitty our love."

"Tell Richard I'll see him at the club Sunday."

Emily nodded.

"Have a wonderful day, girls. I want to hear all about it on Friday." They to their mother with a "what's Friday?" look. There was no sight of a response. "C'mon, Lorelai. Do you need a ride or is your horse parked outside."

Emily was making fun of Lorelai's outfit. She rolled her eyes at her mother's words.

"It's so nice to meet you." That's what Lorelai said to the Headmaster before following her mother outside.

The girls were alone with Hanlin. They sat on their chairs in silence, waiting for the Headmaster to start. He opened their records and proceeded.

"You're obviously both very bright. One more than the other." Emma felt him looking at her on that last sentence. "Good grades. Teachers like you. Not a lot of social activities, though." He frowned as he slipped through the files.

"Oh. Just living in Stars Hollow is kind of a social activity, actually." Rory had the perfect answer, as usual.

"Nothing in your school appealed to you?"

"We sometimes work at our mother's inn after school." Emma started. "I was in cheerleading for six months before they replaced me for a thinner girl. The chess club was fun for a while, but we were only two."

"I was in the German club before I was the only one left. Also, Emma here explores her musical aspirations in a band."

"What sort of band?"

"We play a bit of everything to be honest, but mostly classical rock or punkish tunes."

"I see." He didn't seem very impressed.

"What do you want to be Rory?"

"I would like to be involved in any sort of journalism or literature activity, sir."

"And you, Emma?"

"I don't have a clue. Anything artistic, probably. Or related to history."

"Interesting." He didn't seem very interested. "I've known your grandparents for quite some time."

"We know." Rory spoke for the both of them. Emma was starting to shake her leg and Rory placed a hand on top of it to calm her down, it was a failed attempt, but a sweet one.

"In fact, I was at a party at their house just last week where I had the most delicious lobster puffs I've ever eaten. I'm very found of them."

"That's nice." Emma commented with a dejection in her smile.

"None of this, however, will be of any benefit to you. Chilton has one of the highest academic standards of any school in America. You may have been the smartest girls at Stars Hollow, but this is a different place. The pressures are greater, the rules are stricter and the expectations are higher. If you make it through, you will have both received one of the finest educations one can get and there should be no reason why you should not achieve all you goals. However, since you are starting late and are not used to this highly competitive atmosphere, there is a good chance you will fail." Maybe she was being paranoid, but Emma felt the Headmaster's gaze on her, again. "That is fine. Failure is a part of life... but not a part of Chilton. Understand?"