6. Distress Calls

Start from the beginning

"You don't know her!" Cal clasped his hands against the hood of the car and ripped it upwards. He chucked it in Wanda's direction, but thankfully she was able to take a step backwards and dodge it without losing her concentration. "You don't know anything! Say one more word and I'll—"

"I'm not saying your wife is a monster, Cal." Cal slammed his hands against the open hood as Coulson talked. "I think you already know she's a monster. What I'm saying is, you're not."

Cal leaned back from slamming his hands down, and he turned his head to look at Phil.

"I know you've thought so for a long time." Coulson continued. "But deep down, you're a good man."

"No I'm not." Cal muttered angrily, looking back down at the hood of the car as he was tempted to continue smashing it.

"I believe that. I do." Coulson ignored his response. "You got a big heart-"

"Stop."

"-full of love. You wear it on your sleeve. Skye got that from you."

"No." Cal threw his head back against the wall as he muttered his disagreements.

"That's right."

"No. Stop. Stop!" Cal threw his hands to his head, covering his ears as Coulson talked.

"You were just trying to save her. Trying to please your wife."

"No! No, I was trying to put my family back together!" Cal shouted angrily, releasing his head to slam down on the car once again.

Coulson stopped, watching as the man cracked.

"I reassembled her." Cal muttered. "Piece by piece. Sewed her back up after HYDRA cut her to bits thanks of her healing power. She was never the same."

"She was out for blood." Coulson figured.

"Before Whitehall, an elder would sacrifice themselves every few decades so she could live on, carry on tradition. She would weep, scream, beg them not to. She had a good heart, Phil." Cal choked on a breath. "She did." He sighed it out. "It was just.. torn out."

For the first time, Wanda could feel his emotions settling. The energy drifting around him seemed to settle in a singular mindset.

Grief.

"She needs to take lives to heal." Cal stated.

"So you supplied them."

"Yes. A village of them. But it was never enough." He answered Coulson. "She didn't care about human life anymore. Even I had to change myself to be worthy in her eyes."

Wanda stared at him with a look of pity as he explained himself.

"I thought I could fix her. If I could just make good on my promise. I promised to protect our daughter."

"Does that include protecting your daughter from her?" Coulson asked.

Cal let out an animalistic growl at Coulson, making both Coulson and Wanda flinch from the sudden change in emotion.

"You know Skye now." Coulson started. "Her compassion. Jaiying's out for blood and there's no way in hell Skye will go along with that. Think about the danger that puts her in."

Cal, getting more frustrated and angry by the moment, had sudden fit of strength. He shouted out an angered yell as she shoved the car backwards, breaking Wanda's concentration so her magic couldn't recontain him.

Coulson watched him push the car back, showing no sign of fear in his eyes.

"She's not my daughter, but she's as close to family as I've got. And I will save her, no matter what the cost." He stated boldly.