- 21 -

"It is a pleasure to see you stateside again, Lieutenant Commander Mitchell," said the familiar voice of Admiral Simpson.

"It's surreal to be back sir," she said formally. It was something she was still trying to process. Standing in the north island office once again was a lot. Last time she was here, she was being rebuked for punching Jake in the face.

"I received your report of what was going on in Russia. It's a telling testimony."

"Sir, I know I denied orders, and punishment is definitely something I've thought about a lot, I think a minor probationary period will suffice. After all, if I wouldn't have gone out there, two top pilots would be dead, sir," she explained quickly.

Cyclone looked at her, amusement was not shown on his face but certainly there. She was definitely more verbally bold than her father.

"Ghost, you will not be punished for disobeying orders. Your heroism was necessary and I made a bad call," he said, making her look at him as if he had sprouted a new nicer kinder version of his head. "That being said, you will be put on an indefinite leave until we evaluate your ability to proceed to serve your country with the Navy."

"But sir, I'm fine," she protested.

"When you landed on that carrier, you were covered in blood and what has been described as feral. You punched Commander Seresin in the face... again, and a few others report injuries and much colorful language in various languages that we will not repeat here," the man droned a little causing her to fidget a little. "Elizabeth, being captured for almost two years and tortured in the manner you and Lieutenant Wero were, have heavy impacts on one's mental ability to do their job efficiently. Furthermore, this is your second time going through something like this. How that is statistically possible, I'm unsure, but you managed to do it."

"Admiral Simpson, I am perfectly well. I am physically healthy. I passed all my physical examinations. I answered the therapist's questions to the best of my ability. I'm ready to get back to work. Put me in a squadron again. Something. Let me back in the cockpit."

"Elizabeth. Your eagerness to get back to work is a telltale sign of someone trying to avoid their trauma. Furthermore, your therapist said your answers were repetitive and generic. You need time. So I am ordering you to take time. You are to do more therapy and evaluations. Take this time. Reconnect with your family."

—---------------

Elizabeth walked through the halls, swerving in and out of areas, trying not to be ambushed by anybody she knew. Jake told her to wait in the rec room while they did some pre-leave maneuvers with his squadron. Instead, she walked her way to the Hard Deck. She walked in, hoping to see at least one face she wanted to see. The one she wanted to see the most was her father. When she landed, she didn't have it in her to call. She was terrified to face him again. It seemed like all she ever did when she finally connected with someone was run away again and well, this time she died.

She made her way inside, looking around as she walked up to the bar, frowning when she didn't see Penny. Penny was the other person she wanted to see. Where were they? She ordered a drink, taking it from the unfamiliar bartender.

She proceeded to walk over to the pool tables, heading to the back corner and observed the crowd. She hated this feeling. She felt it before. The uneasiness in crowded spaces. Always needing to keep her eyes on everyone who comes in the door. Eyes darting at any suspicious noise. She shifted uncomfortably, her heart rate increasing. It was so loud. Everything was so loud. So many people. She had to close her eyes. She needed to think about anything but the inability to control what was around her.