- 3 -

"Attention on deck!"

The roaring sound of fighter jets flying by was intense but nothing the young group of aviators weren't used to. Everyone stood up straight as admirals Simpson and Bates walked into the flag-dawned hanger. Elizabeth and John stood next to each other, deciding on the table right in front of Phoenix and Bob.

"Good Morning," Admiral Bates started as he walked up to the podium. "Welcome to your special training detachment. You may be seated."

The group of aviators sat down. Elizabeth took out her pen and paper to write down what notes she felt she needed to take.

"Always studying something," John whispered, making her glare playfully at him before turning her attention back to Warlock.

"I'm Admiral Bates, NAWDC Commander. You're all TOPGUN graduates," he said, eyes peering over his crowd of 17. "The Elite, the best of the best. That was yesterday." Elizabeth saw the looks of some of her friends fall as a small smirk came to her lips. It was amusing to watch your commander fan the flames of your peers' egos only to douse them in water. "The enemy's new fifth-generation fighter has leveled the playing field," the admiral continued, now making her smirk fall. Since when did the enemy have fifth-gens? She sat up straighter in her seat and leaned in closer. "Details are few, but you can be sure we no longer possess the technological advantage."

Bullshit. She knew for a fact the government was developing fighters that could withstand the 5th gen. Was that not what her father has been doing for the past few years?

"Success, now more than ever, comes down to the man or woman in the box." Her eyes were too concentrated on the admiral to really see Jake turn to look over at Natasha and her. Her eyes glanced over, seeing his smirk. You know, with the right amount of pressure, she could use that toothpick to end his life. But he didn't have to know that. "Half of you will make the cut. One of you will be named mission leader. The other half will remain in reserve," Warlock said, eyes looking back a little toward the man walking into the room. "Your instructor is a TOPGUN graduate with real-world experience in every mission aspect you will be expected to master."

Elizabeth turned her head, hearing the footsteps as the admiral continued his speech. He looked good. Her father had always been a heartthrob; she was glad he still had his charm. The swagger in his walk showed he was still his usual smug self. She turned back towards the front, not noticing how fast her heartbeat was or the bounce in her knee till john reached over and gently touched her leg to still it.

"His exploits are legendary." Phoenix saw Elizabeth's movements, deciding to look back herself. A few others did the same. "And he's considered to be one of the finest pilots this program has ever produced."

Her eyes went over to Jake, whose face immediately faltered into shock and then despair as he quickly turned back to the front, holding his brow. He threw his captain out of a bar... what possibly could go further wrong?

"What he has to teach you may very well mean the difference between life and death."

Or get them killed. He seemed to be good at killing people. Elizabeth shook her head, wishing the devil in her mind would just shut up.

"I give you Captain Pete Mitchell. Callsign Maverick."

And with that, a bunch of her peers turned to face her. Jake's head whipped the fastest, his face paling at the reality that he threw out her father as well as made some questionable comments he wouldn't want her father to hear in front of him. Elizabeth sunk into her seat a bit, looking over to Bradly whose face showed irritation though it softened a little when he saw her giving her a slight reassuring nod.