- 20 -

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

The incessant sound was all that filled her ears along with the pounding headache and the ache in her neck and well, her whole body was in pain.

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

There was a sliver of light and then darkness.

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

She groaned lowly, feeling a grip on her hand tighten as words she couldn't really comprehend droned on around her. Her eyes opened for only a second. She could make out a blurry blonde figure before being swept back into the black abyss, the constant beeping lulling her back asleep.

Then there was nothing but bright light as her eyes forced themselves to open. A gasp left her lips. Her tongue felt extremely dry as she adjusted and looked around the clean hospital-like room. The lack of port holes and windows helped with her suspicion. She was on a carrier. Her eyes immediately went over to see John resting a few beds down from hers. She frowned as she looked over his body, seeing the way his blanket fell over his legs. There was no way they could have kept his leg. Not with what those monsters did to him. All she remembered was seeing red. She shifted and grimaced. She looked under the blanket, seeing the red bandage on her stomach. That's right, she was stabbed.

"Liz?" a tired voice rang through her ears, causing her to snap out of an imminent spiral. Her eyes looked over the handsome face she had only in dreams. He looked so much more mature. She frowned a bit.

"What's on your face?" she whispered.

"...honey, you punched me in the face..." Jake hummed causing her brow to furrow before remembering.

—----------------

She had never flown a Gen. 5 plane before. Take off was interesting. She loved her f/18 but this... This was probably the best plane she had ever piloted. It glided through the sky. After working on them for however long she was captured, she was oddly having fun flying one. Though that excitement quickly died when the fighting was over and she no longer heard her backseater talking.

"Johnathan, stay with me," she begged as she looked back behind her to try and see a glimpse of him. She looked up to the convenient rearview mirror and adjusted it to see him absolutely passed out. "Gosh damn it," she mumbled.

Her distress heightened when two jets leveled out next to her. She hoped they recognized she wasn't a threat. She saved their asses after all. Though to be fair they saved hers as well.

She looked over at the plane next to her and she couldn't believe her eyes. The name on the plane. Jake 'Hangman' Seresin. Her eyes looked at the pilot who looked like he had seen a ghost. She supposed he had.

They guided her to the carrier where she was the first to land. The landing was smoother than any landing she had ever done before. And as soon as she was where the flight crew directed her to go, the canopy was up and she immediately jumped into action. She dragged John's limp body out of the plane, causing them both to fall. But she didn't care. Covered in the blood of many dead Russians and filled with the adrenaline of getting out of there, she began CPR, begging the man beneath her to breathe and live again. His very injured leg was still seeping blood through the makeshift bandage she had made out of her prison jumpsuit. Arms went to grab her and she immediately went to defend her friend. Her mind went back to their capture. The panic finally set in.

It wasn't until very determined arms wrapped around her arms and waist, squeezing her close and cooing words into her ear to calm down. She paused in her struggle, watching as medical crew surrounded her partner. And she sobbed. A wild, uncontrollable cry escaped before she felt a sharp pain in her neck and then a dark silence.