Infliction | thirty-five

(very few chapters left..)
(not proofread)

..

Everything felt like déjà vu now that Gabi had confessed who Luke's aggressors were. She was talking to the police again and their attorney.

She had to recount several times what happened during the visit and what happened to her when she came into the care of Luke and Sierra.

The police also had her wear a recording device on her next visit with her parents, just so this way there was physical evidence and they wouldn't be going off hearsay.

It had worked tremendously and the next day, Sunday, her parents were arrested for the attack they planned on Luke.

Now it was Wednesday of the following week and an emergency court hearing about her parents and what they did to Luke was set for today.

There were so many people in that courtroom that Gabi took notice of. Besides themselves, the attorneys, judge, jury, police officers from the night of the accident, and Gabi's parents; some co-workers and friends came to support Gabi and Sierra.

The only person missing was the surgeon himself. Luke.

She just hoped after all this and they hopefully in the end got Justice, that Luke will finally wake up.

"Are we ready to begin?" The judge asked after both parties had been sworn in and seated once again.

"Yes, your honor. We are."

The grueling court process began again as Gabi's attorney first spoke.

They first went over the history of Gabi's parents and what they had done to her throughout the years, that way they could swerve into how Gabi and her parents first met Luke.

Gabi was now on the stand and was getting ready to testify against her parents. Their attorney was prepared

"Gabi, is it true that you had a visit with your parents two weeks ago, on the 13th?"

"Yes."

"And that visit was held at the police station as well?"

"Yes," she answered again. She had no clue as to where their lawyer was going with these questions, but she could only hope it was good intentions.

"Could you verify who was in on the visit that day?"

"Yes, it was me, my mom, and my dad. Just us three in the room."

"So no supervisor like there was required to be?"

Oh, that's where they were going with those questions.

Gabi took a glance over at her parents on the other side of the courtroom. She could see them shooting daggers at her and she thought about lying just so her parents wouldn't do anything to her.

This time however, she was finally tired of being afraid of what they may do to her if she told of what had happened in that visitation room. What they did to Luke that disastrous night.

The truth would finally be revealed.

"That is correct. There was no supervisor." She could see her father's face turn red with anger.

"Could you please elaborate on what happened on the visit?" The lawyer smiled at her. "It's okay, take all the time you need."

Gabi began to share everything that happened, from them confessing about what they told her they did to Luke, to her father grabbing and threatening her. She was not holding back on anything.

She just hoped after all this that it'd be worth it in the end.

...

Gabi's parents had fucked up quite horribly during their testimony about what had happened to Luke and what occurred during the visitation. Their dam of lies was beginning to crack and flood.

And now the jury was still deliberating about the outcome of the trial, where the fate of Gabi's parents stood. Would they be punished for what they did to Luke or would Gabi still have to live in hell and fear because of them?

Soon enough the jury had entered the courtroom once more.

"Has the jury reached a verdict?"

"Yes, your honor. We have."

Gabi stood up with Sierra and their lawyer, she couldn't tell who was squeezing the other person's hand tighter; her or Sierra.

"What is your the verdict?"

"We the jury find the defendants Tom and Nancy Baker, guilty of the attack on Dr. Luke Hemmings."

Sobs could be heard following the verdict, and Gabi looked over to see her mother crying whilst a pair of handcuffs were placed on her wrists.

Gabi looked up to Sierra whose eyes were equally clouded with tears.

It was over.

They were going to jail and she was now officially free.

Everyone was free.