Infliction | thirty-four

(kind of a filler chapter but a big thing happens in this one.)
(not proofread)

..

Sierra was not convinced by Gabi's answer and that's why they now stood in Calum's office because of his additional training in psychology.

"Gabi, you can tell Calum what happened. You don't even have to tell me."

Gabi had been non-stop crying since the visit ended. "I said nothing happened."

"Something had to have happened for you to walk out in tears."

"I said it was good." She groaned and sat down on one of the couches in Calum's office.

"It doesn't sound like it went all that well to me," Calum answered and sat down next to her.

"It was just awkward."

"Sierra? Do you mind giving us a moment please?" Calum smiled at her and gestured his head towards the door.

"Of course. Take all the time you guys need, I'm gonna um go check on Luke." She kissed Gabi on the head and then gently walked out of the door, shutting it behind her.

"You didn't have to send her away," Gabi sighed.

"I did. I wanted to talk to you privately because I can tell that you're hiding something."

Gabi shifted uncomfortably and brought her knees up to her chest. "You don't know that for sure."

"I don't? I have additional training in psychology and can pretty much tell when someone is lying."

"Can you tell I'm lying?"

"Ah, so you are lying?"

"No? Hey, what! You tricked me," Gabi complained and crossed her arms over her chest.

"So now we can talk about what happened at the visit that got you so upset?"

Gabi's mind raced back to all the threats her parents had spewed just a few short hours ago. She didn't want anyone else to get hurt because of them, or because of herself for that matter.

But on the other hand, she knew that everyone had been so caught up in searching for justice for Luke, and it was tearing her apart to know that she knew who the suspects were while he lay in a hospital bed.

"Well, they might've said some things.."

"To you?"

"Yeah, well it was about you guys."

"Us? They don't even know us, that's odd."

Gabi's lip began to quiver and she buried her head into her knees. "They said they were going to hurt you too."

"Why would they hurt us too?" Calum was confused. None of this was making sense. "Gabi, did they hurt anyone else besides you that you know about?"

"Yes."

"Who? We should probably phone the police about this." Calum stood up to grab his phone from his desk.

She decided that as much as she was terrified of her parents and what they could do, she didn't want anyone else to be hurt either. And if she needed to confess and perhaps get them arrested, then that's what needed to happen.

"It was Luke," she mumbled.

"I'm sorry. You're mumbling, I can't hear you."

"It was Luke! They told me." She began to sob. "They're the ones who did everything! They crashed their car into him! They wanted him to suffer and- and if I told anyone else they would make one of you guys suffer too."

Gabi could hear nothing for a few seconds except the sound of her sobbing and then the banging when Calum dropped his phone back onto his desk out of shock.

"I'm sorry!" She sobbed. No matter how many times everybody told her that it wasn't her fault, there was still a part of her that Luke would still be awake if he hadn't met her that night in the ER.

Calum took a couple of minutes to compose himself before walking over to Gabi, his own eyes holding lingering tears in them. "Gabi, you have nothing to be sorry for. I'm glad you told me what they said instead of waiting because we can now have them arrested and get justice for him. Hopefully, that is something he will wake up to see."