“Here, you can have it since you’re the one who guessed the riddle.”

Ye Mu didn’t take the lantern from him, instead, she laughed and said, “Let’s go. I wouldn’t have bothered guessing the riddle if you didn’t like it. You can keep it, consider it as a gift!”

The men and women around them looked at the Silent Master enviously when they heard Ye Mu’s words. Some men even made some exaggerated noises with ill intention while others loudly gossip about how blessed the Silent Master was to have such a clever and pretty girlfriend!

The Silent Master’s face turned red once again, but he held onto the lantern tightly as Ye Mu dragged him away from the crowd.

He looked at the lantern in his arms as his heart pounded rapidly against his chest. This was the first gift he received in many years.

They strolled around the fair and Ye Mu bought a lot of things. They walked by the lake as the crowd started to disperse. The Silent Master held the lantern up; the light from the lantern reflected on his handsome and charming face. He looked like a celestial fairy.

Ye Mu suddenly asked him, “Are you happy being a monk?”

The smile on the Silent Master’s face faded a little, “It’s my nature to be a monk.”

Ye Mu smiled and asked, “What if you have another chance to choose again? If you can turn back time, would you still choose to be a monk?”

The Silent Master fell silent and the smile on his face gradually disappeared.

Just when Ye Mu believed that he would not answer her question, he quietly responded, “If I can turn back time, then I think I might strangle myself to death.”

“Why?!” Ye Mu looked at him in shock.

The Silent Master said, “Because some people are not meant to be born into this world.”

He smiled again when he said this, but Ye Mu was able to detect the sadness underneath his smile.

He tried to lead Ye Mu through the crowd, but Ye Mu stopped walking altogether.

“Is it because of the Empress Dowager?”

The Silent Master’s back was facing Ye Mu.

“The truth is, the emperor and I already knew a long time ago that the Empress Dowager would often look for you to listen to you preach about Buddha. That happened before the current emperor had returned to the palace.”

When the Silent Master heard this, he turned sideways and slowly looked at her. At that moment, he looked both noble and aloof. His blue clothes fluttered in the wind; he looked as if he was about to fly away in the next moment.

“Then why didn’t you say anything? Aren’t you afraid that I’m one of the Empress Dowager’s people? Aren’t you afraid that I will do something evil to you?”

Ye Mu shook her head, “Of course I was worried at first. But because my condition continued to deteriorate, I had to receive help from you. But you never did anything evil to me even though you had so many chances when you were treating my illness. So, the emperor and I concluded that you should be a good person.”