𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍. 𝒆𝒂𝒓𝒕𝒉𝒒𝒖𝒂𝒌𝒆

Comenzar desde el principio

Jeremiah met Alec's eye; they could both see the fear in each other's eyes as the room shook. As the room shook, the two knew they needed each other's comfort to get them through it. The earthquake was still going as it seemed it was going on forever. Then suddenly, it stopped, and everyone looked around quite, waiting to see if it actually stopped. After a few seconds, students slowly began to stand from under their desks. Alec looked around after getting up and saw the room in disarray.

"Is everyone okay?" Ms. Stanley asked her students. Everyone nodded their heads as they were breathing heavily from fear.

"You good man?" Jeremiah asked Alec, who nodded.

"Yeah. You?"

"I'm fine. Damn, that was crazy." Jeremiah said.

"Yeah, that seemed to go on forever," Alec said with his eyebrows creased.

"Okay, guys, this earthquake seemed big. So I'm allowing you all to call your families and make sure they're okay until we get the announcement of what to do." Ms. Stanley instructed.

Alec immediately pulled out his phone as he saw Jeremiah do the same from the corner of his eye. He selected his grandmother's number first, knowing she was home alone, waiting for her to answer.

"Alejandro. Are you okay?" Angelica said as soon as she answered the phone.

"I'm fine, Abuela. I promise." Alec said, sighing into the phone. He rubbed his head as he leaned against his desk. "Are you okay?"

"I'm okay, and so is the house. Not much got damaged, just a few picture frames. Jeremiah, okay?" Angelica said to her grandson.

Alec smiled at his grandmother's concern, "Yeah, everyone in class is okay. Jeremiah, too he's calling his parents now." Alec said, looking around the room. His eye caught May on her phone, most likely calling her parents.

"Okay, that's good. I'm going to call your Abuelo now to see if he's okay at work. I'll let you know how he is after." Angelica informed Alec, who nodded, forgetting she couldn't see him. "But mijo, are you sure you're okay?"

"I'm okay. Really Abuela, I am." Alec answered her. "Go call Abuelo. I know you're worried about him. And I'm pretty sure they're gonna let us out early anyway. So I'll see you in a bit at home."

"Okay, I'll see you soon. But remember Alec about the aftershocks. So on your way home, be very careful." Angelica reminds him.

"I will, Abuela. I love you." Alec says.

"I love you too, mijo. Bye." Angelica said.

"Bye."

Alec hung up the phone and sighed, putting it back in his pocket. He turned and saw Jeremiah still on the phone, which he knew was because Jeremiah's parents were very protective. Alec looked around the room and spotted May off her cell phone and bouncing her leg up and down. He hesitated for a second before walking over to the girl and gave her a warm smile.

"You okay?" Alec said, pointing at her leg bouncing.

"Oh yeah. It...it's just...that was a big one." May said, putting her hands in her lap.

"Yeah. That's the biggest I've ever felt." Alec told her. "But you are okay, though, right?"

May looked at Alec and saw genuine concern, and nodded, "Yeah. I am. Are you?"

"Definitely a little spooked, but I'm good."

"Good," May said, smiling at the popular boy in front of her.

Alec smiled at the girl in front of him, not knowing what else to say. And before he could say something, the PA system came on.

"Students, at this time, you all can leave early. We advise you all to stay safe as you travel home and be cautious of aftershocks that will come. So please be safe. Thank you." The principal said, and everyone gathered their stuff.

"The only good thing about earthquakes. We get to leave early after them." Alec said, smirking at the girl.

"Good point," May says, smiling.

"I'll see you later, okay?" Alec says, and she nods. "Be safe going home."

"Yeah, you too," May says, and Alec nods, returning to his desk.

Gathering his stuff, Alec headed out of the room with Jeremiah by his side. They walked quietly through the school and led to the parking lot. As they walked outside and approached Jeremiah's car, Alec put his arm around his best friend's shoulder. Jeremiah put his around Alex's shoulder as they walked together, bathing in each other's comfort.

Alec and Jeremiah didn't need to talk to know what the other was thinking. They knew that they were both going to be okay.