"Charity?" I asked.

"Pardon?"

"Do you have a charity going on or something?"

Artem gave me a cool look. "It is called pro-bono. I will clear your misconception about private lawyers. We do take pro-bonos too, some more than others."

I frowned, deep in thought. So he wasn't going to charge? Well, that was one huge burden out of the way.

The thing about pro-bono works was that they weren't done on as big cases as mine, especially by lawyers in private practice. But I couldn't go ahead to concern myself till that extent.

"I have some questions," I finally said.

"Ask ahead."

All the queries that had piled up in my brain from yesterday, I let them all out. One after one. The man had the calmness of a saint. He listened and answered rather patiently. A few things were clearer. First, public places weren't ideal for me at all, in current times. If I were to appear in front of, say, a horrifyingly angry victim or protestant, there was the risk of being beaten to death. Second, that meant money, livelihood or anything like that was going to be the issue-est of issues.

"But, Miss Wayland," he was saying. "You don't need to concern yourself with money matters for now. First, we just focus on the case."

"Right." I took the napkin and ballpen. "Listen, there are two scenarios."

"Enlighten me."

"One, I lose," I said, making one mapping down on it. "Money doesn't matter then. I die, or something like that. Two, I win." I made a second mapping to the left of the first. "I can't help but be concerned then."

He took the ball pen and made a circle around the second mapping. "This is the outcome we will believe in. And even in this, money won't be a concern. Have you noticed how your 'reputation' is completely obliterated?"

"Oh yes."

"You are 'defamed'," he said, emphasizing the last word.

His point clicked.

"Oh," I said. "Filing for defamation?"

"Yes. Second outcome means we have proved you are completely innocent. The government will have no choice but to compensate. And considering how big this entire thing is, the compensation will be hefty."

 "Point."

He inclined his head. Another thought struck me.

"But what about until that?"

"Good question."

We both fell silent.

Even if I asked him for it, no way in hell he could make any arrangements for me to have a roof on my head. He literally couldn't. Most of your temporary stay establishments weren't going to take chances with me. And as for more permanent rentals, they required legal work along with most demanding some sort of background check.

Well, shit.

I stole a look at his face and he seemed to be thinking the same thing.

Okay, I was going to be an adult and admit it. I knew one way out of this. Of course I did. I was not letting it out of my lips, though.

Artem, seemingly, had no problem being vocal about it. "You can stay here."

"I don't know about that," I said a bit too quickly. "How long can the case go on? Rough idea?"

"Months," he said. "If I am being realistic here. Somewhat depends on what that man tells us today about you, but on an average, months."

"Yeah, see that," I pointed. "I can't accept the offer for that long."