𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝐹𝒾𝒻𝓉𝑒𝑒𝓃

Start from the beginning

Third Person

Life is often like a rubber band, you can only be pulled in two separate directions before the band just ...

Snaps.

"Augustus, look at me for a moment." Hunter demands, Max however couldn't be bothered to even fake eye contact. "Just stay here, I'm going to go get Doctor Ferrari."

"No, don't. Everything is fine."

"Who are you trying to convince here, me or you?"

"Just fucking drop it.""

Meanwhile, Romeo happened to be right outside the door because his father asked him to retrieve a file from Max and overheard some of the commotion.

"Get out." Romeo states without looking up from his frantic best friend.

"But I have work to do."

"I don't care. Get out. That's an order." Romeo's voice remained cold and detached, that was until the door finally clicked shut and a switch inside him flipped.

He has no idea why his decade long best friend is so distraught but whatever the case may be, the sight was absolutely heartbreaking.

"Max, just breathe with me. Come on, you can do it." Romeo whispers soothingly while brushing his loose curls out of his face lightly, Max flinched lightly at the action. Normally he would be good at hiding it, just as he does the shaking of his hands when someone raises their voice.

He works for the mafia, he has to be good at hiding fear. Fear can easily be used against you.

Maxwell Augustus would know the outcomes of being afraid.

Perhaps more than anyone.

"Max, listen to my voice and come back to me. It's just you and I in this room. Everything is okay. You're okay. Slow deep breaths. There you go.. you're doing so well." Romeo continues to speak in a soft tone while running his finger tips slowly up and down his best friend's spine. "There you go... I am so proud of you."

Pride was something Maxwell George Augustus was not accustomed to, and some in him ignited as he heard the words for the first time from his best friend.

"Do you want to tell me what was the reason you are so worked up?"

"I don't know... I'm sorry." Max whispers, wincing at the sound of his own voice.

Max knows what had him 'so worked up'.

He has a little eight year old girl who not only looks up to him as her big brother, but also the only father figure she has ever known.

He's fed up with his own fathers relentless abuse.

He wishes he can just go home and vent his problems to his own big brother.

He wishes his uncle could tell him stories of his own mom when they were kids.

He wants to live each day without worrying about stressing out his heart or making sure his medications are taken in time.

He feels like he can just shatter at the smallest touch, but he can't do that. He has a little girl waiting for him at home.

Even if it feels like the entire world is resting on his chest.

He wants to be able to break

"Don't do that Max, you never in a million years have to apologize to me. Now come here." Romeo states while offering him a hand to stand up — which Max gladly accepted.