"We seem to have that sorted out, Your Grace," I heard Vincent say. "The King already ensures that,"

"So will I," I retorted. "I need men to follow Xander and protect him in secret whenever he leaves the castle,"

At this, the man looked stunned but recovered quickly. It was easy for him. He was not the one who witnessed my husband almost assassinated. Not once, but twice. I may be paranoid but I had to be. I had no choice. I just could not afford to lose the one in my heart, not after he revealed his feelings.

These past few days became so precious that I realized that I had to protect him at no cost.

"I have seen your husband fight, Your Grace," I heard the calm voice of the man. "He is more than competent to fight for himself. Besides, he will be with his guards at all times. No one could hurt him,"

Before I could speak, Karra piped up and looked at him. "You have no clue what the Queen had been though, Good Sir,"

Her strained voice made me stop too and I was forced to relive the months that tormented me. Even the knight seems to be at a loss for words. He surely heard of what happened in this castle.

"Her worries are natural," Karra continued sadly. "Who would want to lose a loved one? She loves the King so much that she would fight and kill for him. We have to be cautious,"

At those words, the man seemed convinced. He let out a deep sigh before looking up.

"What can I do for you, Your Grace?" he finally asked me. "I will do everything I can to remove your fears,"

That was what I wanted. I shuffled my hands to my side and walked toward him. My head was held high as I looked into his eyes.

"Gather all the loyal men you know,"
.................................................................

Xander's POV:

"So...we have a problem?"

For days I awaited the news I wanted. And now that it finally arrived in Nathaniel's hands, I did not know what to say of it.

Two weeks ago, I was informed of three men who were recommended by my former agent and mentor.

Desmond Blackford.

Aaron Cressel.

Gerald Lynner.

"It is so shocking for me, Your Majesty," Nathaniel sighed, glancing at the letters in my hands.

These were the words sent by the men I was tasked with to watch over those three men and their families. It surely felt dishonorable to do such a thing but I was left with no choice. It turned out to be a good idea.

Desmond was a trainer who has already joined the royal army the moment he heard the declaration of war. He had no wife or children, but an aging mother. According to reports, he was quiet and adored his mother. The villagers had informed the spies that the man was quite agreeable and never picked up fights.

Aaron was a burly man with quite the skills of a sword. He used to be a freelance fighter before he was officially knighted by Hilan Corrington. He has no living family and is said to be loud and terrifying to look at. But a few months ago, everything changed when he saved a woman from her abusive husband. He seemed to be a good man with an intimidating aura and a sense of justice.

Both of these men had no troubles in their lives, but the same cannot be said about the third one.

"Gerald Lynner..." I said the name out loud. "Have you ever met him before?"