“But why do you want to hear songs while bathing? I will bathe in two minutes, and it looks like setting up the bathroom will take an hour for the two minute bath.” She said that made him smile. 

“Whoa, do you even know how to smile?” She asked him in astonishment that made him lose his smile. 

“And close this door while bathing. This area is supposed to be dry. Ask Thulasi or Maruthani to clean this up.” He said and walked out, slamming the door behind him. 

“Why would a bathroom be dry?” She shrugged her shoulders and started playing with the buttons. “Hmmm, this is why rich people spend too much time in the restrooms, I guess. Such luxury relaxes your  mind and thus paves the way for numerous inventions!” She talked to herself while listening to soothing music while enjoying the most luxurious bath.

She came out clean and fresh after that refreshing bath. She wore that nightgown her mother-in-law gave her and walked out of the room, not knowing what to do. She has not eaten anything since morning, and now her stomach has started growling in hunger.

“Come, dear! Let’s have brunch.” Kowsalya called her as she was busy setting up the dining table. It was 11.30 AM and of course, it was brunch. 

“Where did you go, athai?” Damayanthi asked her mother-in-law.

“I went to the nearby temple. Why, dear? Did you search for me?”

“Um…" Yes. I didn't know how to use the restroom. Luckily, your son helped me.” She said that made the maids' jaws drop on the floor. Even Kowsalya could not believe what she was hearing.

“He did?”

“Yeah, he taught me how to use the restroom. Pch, poor him, I spoiled his clothes when I fell on him.”  She added to their heart attack. 

“You fell on him?” Kowsalya sat near her as she felt like the ground was shaking. 

“Yeah, I drenched myself in water when I pushed the wrong buttons, and I didn’t know how to stop it. So came in search of you and could not find you. He came down and was about to slip in the water that I spilled everywhere as I walked around in drenched clothes. I tried to save him from the fall but he was too heavy and I fell on him.” She told them as if it was a story. 

“I didn't even ask him if he was ok!” She added.

“Amma, I already missed an important meeting. Is the food ready? I am hungry.” Krishnan came down hearing everything she was blabbering to his mother. He wanted to slap his head hard for her insensitivity to his mother. He looked at his mother, and she looked at him with a smile that reached her eyes. Krishnan felt guilty for the first time looking at his mother’s smile. He had never seen his mother smile like this wholeheartedly. He never knew that his wedding would make his mother this happy!

‘Would you have married if you have known this?’ His conscience asked him for which he shook his head, dismissing his thoughts. 

“The food is ready. Come.” She called him and started serving him. 

“Um… ennanga?!” Damayanthi called him. Though he heard her, he opted to ignore her.

“I will be late in the night, amma. Don't wait for me.”

“But isn't our first night tonight?” Damayanthi asked her husband, and that made him choke on his food. He started coughing, and Damayanthi didn't wait to help him by tapping on his head and giving him water. 

“Are you ok?” She asked him while he threw daggers in her way. His mother’s oversized nightgown was hanging on her and the fresh face with no make-up, and the new nuptials showed her like an angel fallen from heaven.

“Amma!” He tried to call his mother for help.

“Come home soon, Krishna.” His mother told him while trying to swallow her laughs.

He ran out of the house before Damayanthi could say anything. He could not handle her. He doesn't want to get angry at her. He doesn't want to show his true nature to her. To him, she is a little girl! Not his equal to even tell her about him. But she has been proving to be otherwise to him since this morning. 

***

“Krishna, what happened? Why didn't you come to the meeting today? Is everything alright?” His friend and partner Mithran caught him as he entered his office.

“Pch, nothing is alright, Mithu. I got married.”

“What?” Mithran sat on the chair in front of him with his hand clutching his heart. “God, call an ambulance? What did I ever do to you? Why are you trying to kill me?” He started yapping, and our already angry Krishna burst out on him.

“Shut up, Mithu. This is not a joke. My mom made me marry the girl our manager Ram was about to marry.” He said that made Mithu listen to him seriously.

“What happened, da?”

“That girl didn't like Ram, it seems. She caused chaos in the wedding hall by writing a letter speaking ill of herself to Ram. He stopped the wedding at the last minute.”

“If she didn't like that guy, why the hell did she agree to this wedding?” Mithran didn't like her. 

“I don't know. But she was very prepared. She knew her father would get an asthma attack and was ready with the Nebulizer. Everything would have happened, like her plan if not for my mom. She made me marry her to save the reputation of her and her family. But also she likes that girl. She told me that just after she saw her on the stage.”

“But what would she know about that girl in just one look? God! Now, what are you going to do?”

“I don't know! She is just 23 years old, Mithu. Very immature! I don't think I can handle her.”

“To be honest, I don't know what to say, Krishna. But I believe everything happens for a reason. Maybe she is destined for you. Maybe she is the one that is going to make you happy.”

“Mithu!”

“Go with the flow, Krishna. Life will take you to your destination. You obviously can not stay single for your whole life.”

“I can. I will. I asked Dayalan to make the divorce papers ready. I have promised her father her bright future. She has not even written her 10th exams. I am going to educate her and find her a good man.”

“If you are sure of what you are doing, then I have nothing else to say,” Mithu said. He knows about his friend more than anyone else. As much as he wishes for his happy, glorious life, he also knows no one can push it on him. 

“All I have to do is compromise my mom. And I might need your help with that.”

“I will do what I can.”

They got on with their work, and when the time came to go home, Krishna called in Mithran to accompany him. They both went to his home, not knowing what was waiting for them!