1.9

Chapter IX: Playing Pretend could be your End

Sulane lays in bed, staring at the ceiling, not in the mood to get up. Someone knocks on the door; she groans. "I don't want to talk, Janser!" She throws the blanket over her head and closes her eyes.

"It's not him... It's someone better."

The teen throws the sheets off her head and glances over her shoulder. "Kelly?"

The woman smiles before she has to keep her balance as her daughter latches onto her. "Hey," she rubs her hand against the back of her head. "What happened?"

"Nothing," she mumbles.

"Sulane," Kelly lightly pushes her off her. "Clearly something happened, what is it?"

"I," she rolls her eyes, wiping away her tears. "It's nothing. I'm not even sure why I'm crying."

"So, you're telling me this has nothing to do with what Jasner told me."

She groans. "I'm going to kill him."

"No, you're not." She grabs her arm before Sulane could walk out of the room.

"I don't want to talk about my not important teen "drama". I want to hear about your trip with Gustavo." The teen sits down on her bed and pats the empty spot beside her.

"I want to hear about what happened."

"You're not going to let this go, are you?"

"No. You haven't cried this hard since your mom and you found out your dad-"

"I don't want to talk about that."

"You have to talk about something at some point."

"I have."

"No."

"No, I- I have. I mean- I do. If I show you this, will you promise not to tell anyone?"

"Of course."

The blonde raises a brow. "Really?"

"I take offense to that look because I know what you're referring to but if it's this important to you, you know I wouldn't do anything to jeopardize the relationship we have."

"Fine." She walks towards her dresser and reaches behind it, pulling out the box.

"What's in it?"

She sets the box down in Kelly's lap. "Open it."

She carefully lifts the lid open and finds a stack of envelopes. "Are these-"

"She hid every letter sent and the ones I wrote."

"Where were they?"

"With me because she likes to torture me."

"Have you been writing them back?"

She shrugs. "Maybe."

"Are you going to give them back to the guys?"

"I don't want to think that far ahead."

"These ones are addressed to your mom." Kelly sets the letter back inside and closes the box. "How long have you been writing to her?"

"I- it didn't really start until recently. I just, I wrote the one a few months after... everything but since I started this, I needed to write to her to. It's weird, I'm actually starting to feel a little better."

Kelly's lips tug upwards. "That's called healing."

"I don't buy it."

The woman sighs. "Do you think you'd be able to come into the studio today?"