Chapter 18

"Why are you panicking so much Luna? You're going out on your first date, it isn't the end of the world

"Why are you panicking so much Luna? You're going out on your first date, it isn't the end of the world." Ashleigh said while presumably rolling her eyes. I couldn't look at her as I had retreated under the fluffiest blanket I could find after texting back Chase.

'What was I thinking?! A date! He might get injured and so could his sister. ..But it is in the neighboring town so maybe the twins won't find out? This is hopeless'

I lifted the blanket enough to poke my head out and say," That's not all I'm worried about! He could get hurt. And stop acting like you're some experienced player in dating when you've never gone out with anybody either." She smirked and moved close to whisper," Well after your date on Wednesday at least one of us will have experience." I stared at her in disbelief before shaking my head and going back into my fortress of solitude, completely fed up with her antics.

I heard her pace around her room until she stopped in front of me and stated," I never once thought that you'd be the type to lose your sanity over a guy." I glanced at her shadow from beneath the blanket and whispered, "Neither did I."

~ A few days later~

I hopped out of Carla's car, clutching my cross body and holding my dress to make sure it didn't fly up. Ashleigh gave me a thumbs up while Carla continued complimenting my outfit and practically bursting with excitement because of my date. "Oh Luna, you look absolutely stunning, that boy's jaw is going to hit the floor." she beamed while throwing in a wink.

I covered my face and tried playing off her words and Ashleigh playfully hit her shoulder and said," Leave her alone mum, she's already getting embarrassed before he arrives." she looked over my shoulder and then continued, "And I think that's our cue to leave."

I turned around and smiled when I noticed him in the crowd, his messy hair was combed neatly as he sported a pair of faded jeans and a fitted purple shirt. My eyes trailed down his right hand to see a rather small one enclosed by his, and from a mile away anyone would be able to tell that they're related. My smile widened as her hair was tied back with two purple bows and a matching jumpsuit. Chase finally noticed me and waved while walking over to me and I heard Carla whisper to Ashleigh, "Well aren't they adorable, she certainly has found a good one. Helps that he's easy on the eyes too."

I turned back a shook my head as a signal for them to leave, which quietened down their comments and made Carla start up her car. "Well just to be safe, you do have your cell phone on you in case something happens, right?" she asked with concern swimming in her eyes.

I swallowed my guilt and nodded with a smile, easing her worries as they waved farewell and drove off, "Call us as soon as your date is over. Have fun!" Ashleigh yelled out while sticking her upper body out the window until Carla probably pulled her inside and gave her earful. I sighed while still waving at the retreating car while thinking about how I would never be able to tell Carla or Ashleigh that my phone was actually underneath my bed and not in my bag. It was a decision I had made because I assume Silas or Griffin will try tracking it to find me, so leaving it at home helped decrease their suspicions a bit. At least I had hope it would.

A hand on my shoulder startled me but I shook my head as it was only Chase who had come to greet me. He grinned and said," Hey Luna, glad you made it. We were just going to buy our tickets." He glanced down before nudging his sister forward and adding," Also I'd like to introduce you to my younger sister, Eden. Trust me she's very excited to meet you"

I waved at her but before I could say a word to her she rushed towards me and in a flurry of movements she was attached to my legs and began rambling," Hi Luna! Chase told me lots about you, and how you saved the fwowers. I wove fwowers a lot and your dress is pwetty too! Pink is amazing but I like purple more." I steadied us both so we wouldn't go tumbling down and let out a laugh while trying to respond to all the statements I heard clearly. Before I knew it we were having an animated conversation amongst ourselves and when I glanced at Chase he was looking at the both of us with what can only be described as a mixture of happiness and wonder.

He silently came beside me and linked his fingers with mine while Eden grabbed my right hand and used all her strength to try and pull us towards the fair. I silently thanked Ashleigh for leaving my hair open because I didn't want Chase to see how much a single gesture was bringing forth a new level of heat to my cheeks. Unfortunately for I could feel my hands get a little clammy but hoped he wouldn't notice it.

When reached the front of the line, I let go of his hand to get my money for the ticket but he grabbed my hand and shook his head in protest, "Eden gets to in for free because she's under five, I can pay for us both." I opened my mouth to try and persuade him but the ticket seller in the booth interrupted me," Such a shame, a young man tied down by this huge burden." He turned to Chase and said, "She's holding you back with the kid isn't she? Well I can see why you'd go after her though, she is a pretty thing. But still you get plenty more if you looked around." I shuddered in disgust as the wrinkly man kept staring at me and shielded Eden when he tried to look at her.

"They aren't burdens." Chase replied with a calculating look as he judged the man before us. "The definition of a burden is something you're forced to carry against your will. I happily choose to be apart of their lives so they aren't burdens to me." He raised his eyebrow and placed his money on the counter," Now if you are done sharing your opinions on our lives. Please hand us our tickets as we have far better things to do." The ticket seller pursed his lips and muttered something under his breath as he placed the tickets on the counter.

Chase took them, grabbed my hand again and led us into the fair. Not knowing the right words to say I simply gave his hand a squeeze, "Do you believe in love at first sight, Luna?" he suddenly asked. My eyes widened a bit before I replied," I don't think it exists."

He tilted his head, which reminded me a bit of a puppy." How do you explain the way I felt when I first saw you?" he asked. "You-you love me?" I stuttered, totally confused and caught off guard.

He shrugged," Well according to you I don't." My mouth hung open as I stared at him, he said all that just to tease me. I let go of his hand and walked forward with Eden, from behind us I heard him chuckle and say," Oh come on, I was only joking. Don't leave me all alone." and I couldn't help the laugh that came from me.