Chapter Five-Eyes Eyes Eyes

I've been shaking a lot lately. It feels like something is constantly watching me. Something I'm not familiar with. When I sleep, I dream that I'm something large watching the shadows inside a room. Sometimes, I see someone walk around but never catch their face. 

"What's on your mind, kiddo?" 

I look up at Barnaby. "Nothing." 

"I don't think you've ever thought about nothin. Really, you can tell me," Barnaby says. 

"I've been having this strange recurring dream," I reply. 

"Really? What's it about?" 

"I'd watch a room that has no lighting in it. That's not the odd part though. Sometimes I'd hear someone walk around the room and go through the door." 

"So ya dream that you're a house?" 

"I think so." 

"Angel," Poppy says. She's standing at the end of the hall, so I don't think she's heard our conversation. "I need a little help, dear." 

"Okay!" 

I walk down the stairs with the bird. Out of the corner of my eye, I see her dull feathers. She isn't shaking, but she's still just about colorless. We walk to the living room. 

"Oh! I've forgotten! Stay here, Angel, I will be right back." 

Poppy leaves the room. And I'm alone. I keep myself from sitting down with the fear that I'd go straight to sleep and disappoint Poppy. I don't enjoy disappointing my friends just as much as I enjoy spending time with them. 

"Angel!" 

That was Wally. I'm sure of it. 

"Yes?" That is all I manage to choke out. 

"Come here for a moment." 

I walk out of the living room, hesitant with how Wally is sounding. He sounds like he has been drained of almost all emotion, from sympathy to anger. 

I approach his voice in the kitchen. The rooms look like they've changed somehow. The wallpaper is darker or the lights have dimmed. It is a subtle change, and it is unsettling. 

I enter the kitchen. The moon is shining through the window, although it was day only minutes before. Wally is staring out at the starless sky with his back turned from me. 

"Wally?" 

"Please stay. Look at the moon with me. Please?" 

I stand next to him with my hands shaking and blood rushing through my head. I want to look at him, but I dread what I might see. 

"Uhh... Angel?" 

I snap back and look up at Howdy. I don't know how long he's been standing at the doorway, but I can tell he's concerned. 

"Yes?" 

"Were you staring off into space?" he asks. 

"I guess so," I say. I'm as confused as him. 

"I haven't ever seen you do that before," he replies. "Is something wrong?" 

"I'm okay, Howdy. I promise." 

"You can't back out on promises, okay? Do you double-promise?" he asks. 

"I triple-promise," I say. 

"Okay, if you're so sure," he replies, a small, still concerned, smile on his face. 

I can't believe I'm lying to my best friends. It's such a terrible feeling as well! I don't know how criminals don't break under the sheer pressure of them! 

Am I a criminal? I ask myself. No, I'm not a criminal. I just don't want them to worry so much. 

Am I going to become one? 

I keep thinking about all the questions that I'd usually shrug off. The eyes that my own create make matters worse. Are they real? Fake? 

Am I even here? 

I wait for Poppy, but she doesn't come back. I haven't seen Wally-other than in that weird dream-today. It's as if he has disappeared! 

"Hi there, Angel." 

I turn around and look at Eddie. He has his regular smile on his face. 

"Hi, Eddie." 

I walk up the stairs, tired of waiting, and he follows. I don't try to start a conversation, and it worries him. 

"Doesn't Poppy need you for something?" he asks. 

"She didn't come back, so I'm looking for her," I reply. I keep my smile on my face and try to put out any worry he has. "Do you want to help me?" 

"Okay. Poppy surely hasn't gone far, dear." 

Eddie still has his smile on his face as he goes up the stairs with me. Usually, he goes up two or three steps at a time but he's slowing himself down to one step for some reason. I don't rush him. He might be worried for Poppy as well. I'll let him take as much time as he needs. 

When he gets up to the second floor with me, we check each room one by one. Poppy is too afraid to go out into the backyard. Eddie, on the other hand, enjoys going out for a stroll around the neighborhood once a week. She wouldn't put a feather outside, meaning we have to check all the rooms in the house. 

We get to my room. I hear talking on the other side. 

"We shouldn't interrupt them," Eddie says. "They may be talking about something important, and it'd be rude to interfere." 

"I know, but I was worried about Poppy," I reply. 

"Wally wouldn't hurt a fly, dear! Are you feeling okay?" 

"I haven't slept, and I just get more paranoid when I do," I answer. 

"I used to have tons of nightmares, Angel! I just didn't let them get to my head. They're not real, dear." 

"It feels real," I say. 

"Here's a little trick I used when I woke up: I take a few deep breaths to calm myself down, close my eyes, and then I get a good dream. You're probably just scared of getting a nightmare and accidentally trick your brain into giving you one! You'll be okay." 

I smile at him. I admire his need to help anyone no matter the situation. He's the best friend anyone could ask for! And I wonder how all of us got so lucky to have each other. 

"If you say so." 

"Let's go wait for them in the living room. We can play a game or just talk if you want," he says. He's still smiling, and it makes me happy to see it. 

"Talking sounds nice," I reply as I follow him down the stairs. 

We walk back to the living room and sit on the sofa. It feels like hours, but I wait with patience. If we must play the Waiting Game, then we shall. 

*****

Word Count: 1080

Boop da Eddie :D

wait he doesn't have a nose- 

HE DOES WHAT AM I TALKING ABOUT