Chapter One-Hello, Friend!

I look up at Dad, and he smiles back at me before he walks into the house. He's probably going to work, but I don't know why he is if he's not happy anymore. He gets mad at people a lot now and doesn't talk to me anymore. 

Amigo isn't here to talk to me anymore. He disappeared one day and hasn't come back yet. I know he looked weird, but he was really nice! I wish he'd come back. We were happy together. I hope he at least remembers that I exist. Dad might've thrown Amigo out and didn't tell me. I don't know. Dad was giving me weird looks when he said Amigo must've ran away. 

I still need to finish reading my book. 

Fwap! 

Fwap! 

Fwap! 

I look up and I see something for only a second. I shiver just wondering who is trying to break in. 

I get up and walk slowly to where the person probably is. 

Fwap! 

I poke my head around the corner only to see nothing but a butterfly. It looks like a monarch butterfly, except one of its antennae is ripped off halfway. 

"Hello," I say to it as it lands on my hand. "Your wings are pretty!" 

The butterfly flies away, and I walk back to the patio under the eave. My book has been moved from the table to the chair. 

I walk away for one minute and someone might've actually broken in. 

Well, the windows aren't unlocked, and the front door is the only other way out (if it wasn't locked as well). The person is going to have to come through the patio door unless they want to break a limb. 

I walk to the garden shed and pick up the hammer that has been laying in the grass for a while now. I walk back to the patio, set the hammer down on the table, pick up my book, sit down on the chair, and continue reading. It's silent, too silent, and the person hasn't come out yet. I even finish my book and they haven't even made a noise. I'm actually getting a little worried. 

I decide to head inside without the hammer and put the book back in its place in the bookshelf. I look around the living room first, and everything seems to be in order. The dining room is okay too, and the hallways are normal. 

"Wally, are you okay?" 

There's two... 

Time to hide! 

I don't even try to look in the kitchen; I run up the stairs as fast and as quietly as possible. I almost trip a few times, but I get to the top. I close my bedroom door behind me and hide under my bed. I only take my time here to make sure I won't be seen. 

The door opens, and the two begin searching for me. One is taller than the other by a lot, and they both don't look human. The tall one is a blue dog, for Pete's sake. I don't even know if these two are real. 

Then, to my horror, the smallest of the two bends over, and my eyes meet his. 

"Hello!" he laughs, not breaking eye contact. "Don't be afraid! I won't bite!" 

I just close my eyes, hoping this is some sort of nightmare I'll wake up from. It has to be! Seriously, who else looks like that man in front of me?!

"We'll give ya a minute, kidda. C'mon, Wally," the dog-man sighs. 

And then neither of them make a sound. The door hasn't closed either. 

I open my eyes and crawl out. They're both not here. The door is closed. But how did I not hear them leave? How did I not hear the door click?