Chapter Two-Sick

It's been an entire month since I've met Wally, and I've been introduced to his friends as well. Barnaby and Julie were the first two I've met; they were sitting on the couch. After that, I met Frank, who was outside catching some butterflies. Howdy was sitting in the kitchen the first time I saw him, and Poppy was talking with him. Sally was on the roof, that's all I have to say about her. I've only known Eddie for two weeks now, but I always see him at least once a day.

But Wally has been here every single day, constantly by my side. He introduced me to every single one the day they appear. Julie and Frank are outside as soon as the sun is up, Barnaby likes to sleep in, Poppy is always hiding somewhere, Eddie disappears to somewhere after eleven, Sally only wanders around the house at night, and Howdy practically lives in the garden but comes inside when he wants to. But Wally is the one I know most of. I don't know what Howdy's favorite color is, I don't know what Sally's favorite food is, but I know Wally's. Wally loves the entire rainbow, he doesn't have a favorite color, and he loves apples a lot more than any other fruit. 

"Angel, it's time to go," Dad shouts. He then adds, "You can take Wally." 

"Where're we going?" Wally asks as I put my shoes on. 

"Doctor Frederick," I answer. "I need to get a check-up every two months. You don't need to worry though, Doctor Frederick is really nice!" 

"What does he do?" he questions. 

"A few blood tests, but he also asks if I'm having any problems," I reply as I pick up Wally and walk out of my bedroom. "It's usually really late by the time Dad and I come back, but we'll be going home before you know it!" 

I walk down the stairs and follow Dad to the car (let me remind you that this is BEFORE the Welcome Home show, and it's 1965. There aren't a lot of "sports cars" that rich white men such as Ronald Dorelaine would drive, but in here he drives a 1963 Chevrolette Corvet Sting Ray because that sounded like the best vehicle and if doesn't have a backseat well then this is an alternate universe where it DOES). I put my seatbelt on (the seatbelt has just been invented) and help Wally put his on. He acts limp and soulless, although he's only doing that because around Dad. I'm still not used to it, though. 

Wally looks at me after a few minutes, and I smile at him. He just has dread and a pulled-together smile for me. I don't think Wally likes doctors. 

"We're here," Dad finally says. "Doctor Frederick is already waiting for us, so it would be better if you hurry a little, dear." 

I take off Wally's seatbelt first and pick him up. I click the button for mine and I'm out of the car. I walk with Dad into the clinic, and Doctor Frederick is in the waiting room. Nobody else is really here other than a few people waiting and some nurses. 

"Hello, Angel," the doctor smiles. He then sets his gaze on Wally. "Who's your new friend?" 

"His name is Wally, sir," I reply, making sure I don't hurt the limp doll in my arms. 

"You can wait here, Mr. Dorelaine," Doctor Frederick says to Dad. 

Suddenly, I feel a stab of pain in my chest, as if I've just been cut deep with a knife. I drop Wally and fall with him. My whole body feels like it's pulsing and everything hurts. It hurts to breathe, and it feels like my heart is about to stop because it's beating so fast. I close my eyes, and I'm completely still. I can hear everything from Dad screaming into a landline for an ambulance to a nurse trying to get everyone to calm down. 

I can hear what Wally would say. 

"You'll be okay," he'd say. 

"I love you," he'd reassure me. 

Everything is silent for just a minute, and I open my eyes. Wally is sitting on a chair beside the bed I'm lying on. Dad is in another room, possibly talking to a doctor. There's nobody else in the room with me other than Wally, who is just staring into the void. 

"...Wally?" 

He snaps back and immediately looks at me. 

"Oh, thank the stars! I was so worried, Angel!" Wally says. A large smile is on my face when I hear his voice, although it feels like some sort of robotic response that is so out of character for him. "Your father has been worried sick as well. What happened?" 

"I don't know; everything felt painful out of nowhere, and it hurt to breathe," I reply. "I'm okay now, though." 

He looks down at his lap like the day I met him. "I don't want to lose you too. You're really special to me." 

"I'm okay, Wally," I smile, reaching out to touch his hand. "We'll go home like normal." 

"It's... happened before?" 

"Yeah, but only one other time. We'll just have to go to the clinic tomorrow." 

He looks uncomfortable, and I let him speak his mind. 

"Is it okay if I don't go?" he asks. 

"Of course it's okay!" I answer. "Don't be afraid to tell me if you want to do something." 

"I love you," he says. I smile back at him. 

"I love you too," I reply. 

(ANGEL IS A CHILD AND WALLY ISN'T ATTRACTED TO HER THEY LOVE EACH OTHER LIKE BEST FRIENDS) 

Dad comes in all of a sudden, anger and devastation on his face. He wants to punch something-the doctor, Wally, the wall-anything he can take his anger out on. 

"Are you okay?" Dad asks. His whole body is trembling as if he saw something far more terrifying than his daughter approach death and turn her back on it for the third time in her life. 

"I'm okay," I answer. I don't know how many times I've said that now. 

"She'll have to be here for the rest of the week, Mr. Dorelaine," the doctor beside him says. "It'd be best for her to rest instead of exerting herself more." 

"Dad?" I begin. 

"Yes, dear?" he answers. 

"May you please take Wally home?" 

"Of course." 

Dad stays for another few minutes with the doctor. I've being told about what had happened. My heart was beating so fast that a lot of blood was running through my brain, and it was too much. I only fainted, but it still concerns Mr. Lyre. He wants to make sure I'm not in danger. 

"It's just protocol," the doctor mumbles despite nobody protesting. 

Wally looks at me with mixed emotions-pain, worry, thankfulness. I smile at him in an attempt to uplift a little bit of his negativity. 

But it doesn't seem to work. 

Dad walks out of the room with Wally in his arms. The doctor leaves the room as well, leaving me really and truly alone. I don't move mostly because I don't want to... 

I don't want to die. 

*****

Word Count: 1203