"What was I even thinking?" Wally groaned, covering his eyes as the scene replayed over and over again in his mind as he was having a very similar conversation with Maddie that unbeknownst to him, his best friend was having with Charlie. To Maddie however, she found the situation all too amusing. 

"I mean you told me you'd fill my holes on my first day here," she offered bluntly but with a smile before smashing another mug with the golf club tight in her grip. "Okay, that's totally different," he shouted with wide eyes, his voice getting increasingly louder. He let out a huff of air feeling overall frustrated with the situation.

"I haven't known you for fifty years, Maddie!" Wally shouted, which caused him to clear his throat and look around for wandering eyes that may be listening in on their conversation. "Do you- do you want to get her we-" Maddie questioned, having a hard time hiding the laugh that was blooming in her chest, as she leaned lightly on the golf club she just propped onto the dirt. Wally turned to give her a hard gaze, pointing an accusing finger in her direction. "Do not finish that sentence," he demanded with emphasis on some of the words, snatching the golf club from her hands to smash one of the mugs thrown onto the ground. 

Needless to say the field was loads worse now than it had been earlier. Destroyed yoga balls and vending machine littered the field, among other things, that now only occupied a few of the ghosts. After he had felt like an appropriate amount of time had passed since the most awkward interaction of his life, Wally found Danny sitting on top of a covered truck bed that overlooked the grassy, now tarnished, field. 

"Come on, why haven't you destroyed something," he had asked without even greeting the girl, pulling himself up to sit on top of the cover that protected the bed of the truck right next to Daniella. She just shrugged at the question as her gaze was locked on the field watching the remnants of the destruction. "I don't really have a reason to. I never really did."

"Well," he clasped his hands together resting them on top of his knees, "I think you don't have to have a reason, other than to fuck around and have fun with it." 

"You make a valid point there, Walls," she muttered gently with a kind smile as she turned to meet his gaze. They sat there for a long moment, just staring into each others eyes, the light breeze tugging at her hair delicately. 

"Why are you acting weird?" He asked softly with a smile that mimicked hers. "Why are you acting weird?" She retaliated with a slightly quirked brow, emphasizing the 'you' in her phrase with a smile growing onto her lips, brushing a piece of hair that flew in her face behind her ear. There was a calm silence between them once more as their eyes were locked on one another. He would drown in those bright blue eyes a thousand times if he could.

Wally started leaning in slightly closer to her, with Danny following his lead. She could feel his breath on her face as they were just inches apart, and just before she was about to close her eyes, a whistle sounded across the field snapping the two ghosts back to reality as they pulled away from one another.

Were we about to-

"We should uh," Wally started, brushing his fingers through his hair looking towards the teacher that blew the whistle for gym to begin, "we should get going."

"Y-Yeah," she bit her bottom lip gently, nodding at his words as she jumped off of the car landing on a patch of grass with Wally following suite. It was hard not to scrutinize every move and sound he made as they walked back towards the school. Her mind wandered to Charlie's words earlier that day,  especially after the painfully awkward interaction she had with her best friend. Could Charlie actually be right? 

Daniella shook her head, convincing herself that she had imagined the moment they just had. No way would he kiss her, and if he was going to it was probably just going to be on her cheek. Danny felt as if it were impossible for Wally to like her, cause if he did, he would've told her by now. Right? But, she hadn't told him yet either.

Sighing at the thoughts running through her mind, Wally turned to look at her. "Everything okay?"

"Y-yeah, just thinking about Maddie," she coolly lied, knowing that the safest bet she had was to pretend to think of the stressful situation her new friend was going through rather than to air her true feelings out. It wasn't too far from the truth either as the mystery of her death rattled in the depths of Daniella's mind. 

"Oh my god, she's awesome," he expressed with a smile forming on his face as he reminisced about the day they had. Her brows furrowed at the comment, never hearing him express such a thing about a single ghost they have met in their afterlife. "She's a horrible golf cart driver, so you gotta watch out for that," he gestured with his hands as he spoke, something he often did. 

"As bad as me?" Danny teased, causing Wally to scoff humorously. "Oh, way worse, but she'll get the hang of it. Seems like field day really helped her out a lot, though," he seemed to care about her wellbeing which was good, but it put a bad taste in her mouth for some reason. She wasn't feeling jealous of the girl at all, but as Wally went on to talk more about her, Daniella's heart ached lightly. She took his words as confirmation that he didn't like her more than friends like a small part of her hoped he had, but maybe he was starting to like Maddie. She spent decades bottling up her feelings for Wally and had only a split second of hope that he may have reciprocated them. Now, she feels certain that he doesn't. It's all she has known for years, and like every year since her death, as much as it hurt, she's kept it to herself which she will continue to do. And she was okay with that.