chapter six

After Wally had calmed her down, everyone practically fled from the pool as the scene put a damper on the mood. Wanting some time alone, Daniella had roamed the halls on her way to the roof while the jock went to the gym for the fourth time today to nobody's surprise.

While walking down the halls to the stairwell leading to her safe space, she stopped once her eyes landed on Charlie. His hand gripped the railing up nearby the set of stairs Danny was walking by as Emilio approached, not paying him any mind for obvious reasons.

"I miss you," she heard his voice break. Emilio walked down the stairs and exited the door to Danny's left as Charley's back continued to face her. "Charlie?" She beckoned softly, slowly approaching the stairs as the denim clad teen turned around. As soon as they made eye contact, a lone tear escaped his eye. "Oh, Charlie," she expressed sympathetically, walking up the stairs quicker to pull her fellow ghost into a tight hug. He gripped her jacket tightly as he pressed his cheek into her shoulder. Sometimes, it could feel more overwhelming than usual to him when watching Emilio. "He would've forgiven you in a heartbeat if he ever got the chance," she muttered, bringing one of her hands to cradle the back of his head as his sobs continued to break.

Daniella closed her eyes, only being able to imagine the heartbreak he must feel every time his first and only love passed him by.

The next day, group began how it typically did with short greetings before Maddie was pulled to the center of discussion by Mr. Martin, indulging in the topic of her obituary yet again. The constant talk of an obituary was getting mundane and the last thing on Maddie's mind as she was trying to figure out who had killed her and why.

"Sounds like you've spent one too many days in this school," he relayed, understanding that everyone here felt the same way. "Is there another option?" She asked bitterly, with a hint of sarcasm.

"There is actually. Gang," he turned to address the whole group, causing Danny and Wally to share a look as they mutually cringed at the phrase. "I know it's not usually for another month or so," the words spoken had piqued Wally's interest, causing the boy to be at the literal edge of his seat with his hands clasped together as if he was begging for the next words to come out of Mr. M's mouth. Daniella rolled her eyes with a small smile on her face, crossing her arms over her chest and fiddling with the necklace clasped around her neck.

"But, time is relative here is it not? So, what do you say? Who's up for another field day?" The second the word escaped him, Wally was quick to jump slightly out of his seat. "Yes! Hell yes!" Daniella's brows raised, her mouth opened slightly at the thrilled teenager. "Yes. Yes," he burst out, pointing his fingers with each word in emphasis. "Field day! Let's go!"

"Oh my god," she whispered, before laughing lightly to herself. "Please kill me," Rhonda muttered, looking up at the sky as if praying to some type of god to answer her prayers. "I love you, Mr. M," Wally say with aggressive excitement, turning to Danny to fist bump her, which she returned hesitantly while still looking at her friend baffled.

"Everybody needs exercise. And as you'll come to learn, we ghosts occasionally need to "exorcise" a few demons too," he seemed proud of his pun chuckling at it lightly, but Danny had to push her lips together to prevent herself from laughing at the awkwardness that had filled the room. "Am I right guys?" He proudly asked, the pun being overlooked by Maddie. "Yeah, no. I don't do sports."

"Well, Maddie I hear you, " he put his hand on her thigh briefly in order to convey the words he spoke "And as the resident jock, I am going to choose not to be offended by that, but I just have two words for you, mm-kay?" If there was anything in his afterlife that he was passionate about, it was field day. Danny closed her eyes, knowing what was coming.