chapter three

"I met her earlier. After group I mean," Wally spoke with his hands in his jacket pockets as he roamed the halls with Daniella. "Well sort of, she was really distracted by her friends in the hallway or something," he shrugged his shoulders, trying not to think too much of it but that was impossible. "Give her the benefit of the doubt, she just died," she defended the stranger, but she knew that Wally understood this. He was the same way with her when he had died.

"She knew my name cause of the stadium, and then I told her I could fill her holes," he covered his face with his hands pressing his forehead into one of the lockers before letting out a groan from embarrassment.

"Sorry?" Danny laughed, but was still very clearly confused. Wally turned around, back against the lockers. "I meant holes in her memory, o-obviously not any other holes," he rushed out his words while gesturing with his hands for emphasis, not wanting the wrong idea to come across which caused Danny to burst out laughing even more. His face was beat red and she could not believe that the suave guy she knew him as was capable of such embarrassment.

"Hi, I'm Wally Clark, the famous dead guy who's name is on the stadium. Please, can I fill your holes?" She mocked his voice and stature while laughing the whole time. One thing is for sure, if he could die all over again just to see her smile like that for the rest of eternity, he would do it in a heartbeat. "God, what made you think that was a good response? No wonder you never able to keep a girl, especially with those lines," Danny giggled, standing next to him against the lockers.

"Y-yeah, girls just flock to me when I tell them I'll fill their holes," he tried to brush off her comment, but thoughts of their lives lingered through his mind. During his high school years, Wally was charming, without a doubt, but making offhand comments wasn't the reason he never had a girlfriend for long. Sure, he had kissed girls and slept with them too, but his relationships were always cut short because as much as he tried to move on from the girl he loved, he was never able to, even now as she stood next to him.

Daniella moved to sit on the dirty linoleum tiles leaning against the lockers right next to Wally, with him following her down onto the floor. "She's just not ready to be dead yet," he spoke thoughtfully getting the conversation back on track with a slight nod to his head and a tight lipped smile.

"Were any of us ready this soon after we died?" Danny questioned, plucking at the rips in her jeans at her knees that were pulled to her chest. Wally tilted his head to the side, considering her words, "I guess not."

The days of a spirit at Split River were pretty cyclical. Follow students, go to group, bother the other dead, group again, rinse and repeat. At first it was tiring, but when Daniella came to terms with the fact that this could be her forever, she decided to just go with it as there was quite literally nothing else to do.

So, Wally, Daniella and the rest of the dead were gathered in the gymnasium yet again, just talking amongst themselves before Maddie burst in through the doors. She caught Danny's attention while Wally and Charlie were too preoccupied with their conversation to even notice. The blonde's attention went straight to Wally, ignoring nearly everyone else in the room as if she were on a mission.

"You want to help me big shot? Fine, help me. I need you to force a confession out of some one," she exasperated, heavily gesticulating with her hands. Ah, filling the holes, Danny thought. That didn't quell any of the confusion though.

"You know, rattle some chains. Inhabit his body. Scare the life out of him. Whatever it takes," she was desperate for help, but it was in ways none of the spirits could actively do. Everyone just stared at her, not wanting to insert themselves into the situation. Wally looked around not knowing how to respond to her, but ultimately feeling sympathy towards her.