chapter four

"Here," Wally gestured the box toward Danny with the Boston Cream donut, her favorite, staring up on her. She smiled graciously, thanking him for the pastry before snatching it up and taking a bite. Mr. Martin was going on about some story with nirvana and donuts before Rhonda's irritated voice piped up. "What's that about?"

"Is there a problem?" Mr. M asked, his attention going to the cynical teenage girl and the usually happy go lucky jock. "He always leaves me with the worst one," she complained, gesturing towards the box in Wally's hand. "What do you mean? It's lemon glazed," his innocent response caused Danny to chuckle. Sometimes he could be so clueless. "Nobody wants a lemon donut," she replied with disgust. He shook his head, dropping the box onto his thigh as if to give up. "You can have mine if you want," Danny offered dryly, but with a sweet smile on her face as she handed it over. It was just a donut, so she didn't really mind. "What? No, I saved that one for you," Wally argued, pushing Danny's arm with his own back towards her.

"G-guys, the subject is nirvana," Mr. Martin tried to keep the conversation back on track, but clearly he couldn't gather their attention. "No, the subject is entitlement," Rhonda clapped back bitterly, crossing her arms. "Oh, okay. I'm entitled because I like anything filled with jelly," the football star spoke matter of factually as if it was the most obvious thing in the world, causing Danny to cover her mouth to stifle her laughter, "yeah that makes sense."

"You take the last jelly, I will rip off your arm and beat you with the wet end and make your girlfriend watch," Rhonda threatened jutting out her chin.

Daniella and Wally turned to look at each other, both with wide eyes and red cheeks as they were shaking their heads before they began to speak at the same time before quickly cutting off their words.

"She's not-"

"I'm not his-"

Wally shook his head as if to clear his thought and get back to the issue at hand. "Okay, look besides Rhonda," he pointed towards himself with the hand holding the jelly donut, "I'm the one who boosted these from the faculty lounge in the first place. Just be grateful!"

Mr. Martin and Charlie popping into the discussion just made the situation all too amusing for Daniella. It was nice to know that some thing's never change in the afterlife.

"You know what? Can I be excused please? I would like to eat my donut in peace," he was simply defeated and slightly irritated at this point, over a donut. "And he gets excused for that, more entitlement," she huffed, now holding the brown cardboard box in her hands. "No, it's not entitlement, Rhonda, okay" he stated with purpose and slight anger, "it's about digestion." Daniella couldn't help but laugh out loud at that, "it's just a fucking donut."

"Has anybody ever been seen by a living person?" Maddie interjected, the arguing getting on her nerves as the thoughts of her situation ran through her mind. That officially killed the mood. Everyone remained silent before Rhonda spoke up, "that doesn't happen hun."

Daniella could tell that Charlie was trying to divert the conversation away from this topic by rambling about his donut, but she just brushed it off. "Dude how many things could you possibly be allergic to? You know you can't die twice right?" Wally's previous agitation was now being pushed onto the boy with glasses as Daniella hit his arm lightly.

"Too soon," Charlie replied with a look mimicking disgust on his face, causing Daniella's smile to return.

This was by far one of the weirdest conversations they've ever had in this group. Somehow the bickering returned, but this time it was more serious between Maddie and Mr. Martin. He wanted to give her an assignment, her eulogy, which she was adamantly opposed to. Wally was too busy slurping up the jelly, practically moaning into it to get a feel of the tension in the room. He could live in his own world sometimes, but Danny saw that as a good thing.