Romance has already ruined his life once.

He won't let it ruin it again.

-

After dinner, Taehyung walks upstairs and through one of the three white doors that await him, into his room. The other two being his younger siblings shared room and the bathroom. His room is quite small, only big enough for a twin-sized bed, a small desk, and an old closet. There's a single-paned window and the blinds are pulled down, but one of them snapped off a couple of years ago so he can see that outside the sun has set and the sky is a warm blue.

Taehyung sits down at his desk and opens up his laptop, clicking on a file to scroll through all the pictures he had taken of Jungkook that day at the park. He's got to decide which picture will be his main one, the largest and therefore most scrutinized, he may be able to get away with minimal editing on whichever photos he decides to pick for the complimentary pieces he has to go all out for the main one. The first couple pictures are the ones on the swing, most of them of Jungkooks side profile. The man is stupidly stunning but Taehyung thinks he could brighten up the blue of his hair and do some colour adjusting. Maybe make his piercings more sparkly and deepen the red of his cheeks and lips. The next batch of photos is of Jungkook sitting on the grass, he'll definitely need to do something about the yellow and dead-looking ground but that only serves to make the man look even more radiant. Full of life, young, energetic, so, so pretty. Taehyung goes through the rest of the photos with much of the same analysis for each one until he finally lands on the final picture.

His heart skips a beat. Jungkook under the cool purple sky, smiling brightly with a tub of ice cream in front of him. He's only known Jungkook for two weeks but...

Ping!

His phone lights up with a notification, another one swooping through when he picks it up to see what it is. Taehyung smiles a little when he's greeted by a text from his best friend, accompanied by a picture.

Jimin:
heyyyyyyyy!!!! what r u wearing to the party tmrw night???? heres what i am ;))))

Jimin has sent a photo!

In the picture, Jimin wears a brand new suit Taehyung has never seen before. A monotonous, silk outfit in deep purple, cut to perfectly accentuate his thin waist and well-built thighs. His hair is also freshly silver, dyed specifically for this event he's angelic in his effortless beauty. Taehyung had almost completely forgotten about the third years party happening tomorrow but he had picked out something to wear a couple days ago so he's not completely unprepared.

Taehyung:
omg you look gorgeous!

like always of course.

Jimin:
awwww tysm!!!

what r u wearing love

Taehyung stands from his chair and walks to his closet, pulling out the hanger he had put his chosen outfit on and angling it to take a picture. On the invitation text forwarded to everyone, it had said the theme was business casual, and of course, Taehyung took that to mean fully business. A white button-down under a forest green waistcoat with dress pants the same enchanting shade. His favourite outfit he's worn to many past occasions and what he will definitely wear too many future ones. He takes a shot of the clothing and sends it over to Jimin. He suddenly feels very excited to go to this party, it will certainly be one hell of a mood lifter and distract him from his current Jungkook predicament.

Taehyung:
Taehyung has sent a photo!

Jimin:
shittttt that looks sooo cool i just know ure gonna rock that!!!!!

But before the brunette can respond with a thank you, there's a loud, thundering knock on the front door downstairs. As the eldest sibling, it's his responsibility to answer the door so he leaves his phone on the desk and hurries down the stairs to do just that. The door opens with a swing of cold air and Taehyung is tackled into a hug before he can even see the face of the person attacking him. But he already knows who it is.

"Auntie, it's good to see you!" Taehyung laughs, hugging her back and smiling when she leaves twin kisses on both his cheeks. "It's good to see you, too, Taehyungie!" Nari is running down the stairs to fly into her aunties embrace "Auntie!!" she exclaims in her childish wonder as Chanyeol rounds the corner to give her a much calmer greeting but Haewons nowhere to be seen, she must not have heard the door.

Kim Yuna is a kind person who cares very deeply for her family. She's got a light brown balayage and deep-set eyes, a sweet smile, and warm arms that are ideal for tight hugs. Yuna brings around presents and treats whenever she can and is constantly suggesting a stroll around the park and a deep conversation. She drives her sister to the hospital every week for her chemotherapy appointments and is always up for a fun family board game. Taehyung loves her very much.

"Is Yejin ready to head out?" Yuna asks Taehyung once she finishes doting over Nari and Chanyeol. "Uh, yeah I think so, I'll go get her." the brunette says but Yuna raises a hand to stop him, suddenly looking very serious. She turns to the children and smiles at them. "Can you two angels go and fetch your mother?" She asks, and they both nod before running off to do just that. "And remember to help her up!" She calls after them. When Yuna's all-seeing eyes return to Taehyung's they are once again dead serious. And the look sends an unsettling shiver up the youngers spine.

"I... Need to tell you something.. About your mother."

Taehyung nods, very slowly.

"She... The—The doctors—" She cuts herself off and takes a deep breath. Taehyungs heart sinks to his stomach."The doctors are saying the chemo isn't working. That she's getting progressively weaker and that we should... Prepare."

"Prepare?" Suddenly Taehyung is fifteen again, standing in the midst of a rumbling house, fighting, drowning, dying.

"Yes. For... 'The worst' they said." Yuna says, solemnly. Dark eyes watery. "I know...this is difficult to hear, and Taehyung-ah," She takes his hand. "You deserve to know what they've said, but we must keep our heads up high, okay?"

Taehyung looks into her eyes, searching for the confidence that is always there when she talks about her sister's recovery. But it's nowhere to be found. If she can't be confident, then he'll have to step in. He believes in his mother and her recovery wholeheartedly.

"She's strong. She'll live."

Yuna takes another deep breath.

"Yes. She is so, so strong."

He pulls her into a hug.

And she'll live. Taehyung thinks, stubbornly.

❈❈❈

Published: 16/08/23

Word count: 1754