My Mate

Damon's pov

As soon as I stepped foot in the classroom I could smell her. She was here. My mate. My soulmate. Today would be her eighteenth birthday. I glanced around the classroom and my eyes stopped on a girl at the back. That was her.

She was beautiful. Her long brown hair flowed nearly down her shoulders and stopped in the middle of her back.

Her laugh was the most amazing sound I had ever heard in my 300 years of existence. I noticed that she was the only one with an empty seat next to her. I smiled to myself, knowing that I would be placed next to her.

After Mr Flynn had introduced me and told me to sit at the back with her, I calmly walked over to her and took my place next to her.

"I'm Damon"

"I'm Elena"

Elena the name fit her perfectly. A beautiful name for a beautiful face. Her smile was perfect. She had a set of perfectly straight, white teeth. Her eyes were a deep shade of brown. She was beautiful.

"Do you think you could show me around? I'm new and i have no idea where I'm going"

"Sure. Can I have a look at your timetable so I can show you where to go?"

"Sure" I pulled a piece of white paper out of my pocket and handed it to her. She took a minute to look at it then handed me it and smiled.

"Looks like you're with me for everything so showing you around is going to be easy"

"Awesome. At least I'll know someone" I shot her a smile.

She smiled at me in return "Yup. Hey do you know anyone in this school?"

"Only you"

"Do you want to hang around with me and Hayley until you know a few more people?"

"I would love that. Thank you Elena"

"No problem"

When first period was over I walked out of the classroom behind Elena and her friend Hayley. Hayley seems like a really good friend and she's so sweet. They both made me feel welcome.

The rest of the day went by quickly. I was with Elena all day. Some lessons we weren't sitting together which I was disappointed about.

The final bell rang to signal the end of the day. I got up from my seat and glanced at Elena who was sat the table next to me glancing at her phone screen. She whispered damn it under her breath. I walked over to her.

"Everything okay?" she looked up at me and shook her head.

"My brother is supposed to be picking me up to take me home but his boss is making him work later than usual. Looks like I'm walking home."

I looked outside and noticed it was starting to rain. "I'll take you home"

She looked at me dumbfounded "What? Why?"

"You've been so nice to me all day. It's only fair that I return the favour. So come on I'll give you a ride home"

"You don't have to. I can walk"

"No it's okay I insist. Come on."

"Okay. Thank you Damon"

"No problem Elena"

We got into the parking lot and I walked with her to my car. I unlocked the car and walked round to the passenger side to hold the door open for her.

"Thank you" she gave me a dazzling smile. I closed the door after her and got into the drivers seat. I put the keys in the ignition and my favourite song started playing through the speakers. It was Kansas 'Carry On My Wayword Son'.

I caught her looking at me with her eyebrow arched.

"What?"

"You like Kansas?'

"I love Kansas. I can turn it off if you don't like it" I said as reached for the button to switch it off.

She placed her hand on top of mine. Her touch sent shockwaves through my body.

"No. Are you kidding. I love Kansas. Especially this song" I watched as she turned the volume up.

As we drove out of school to her house the chorus came on and I started singing at the top of my voice 'CARRY ON MY WAYWARD SON! THERE'LL BE PEACE WHEN YOU ARE DONE!!' Elena burst out in fits of laughter.

"What? Am I that bad?"

"No. You're good. It's just the fact that you're shouting it"

"Oh. I dare you to join in on the next chorus"

"Fine. I will."

The next chorus came on and we both started singing at the top of our voices 'CARRY ON MY WAYWARD SON! THERE'LL BE PEACE WHEN YOU ARE DONE! LAY YOUR WEARY HEAD TO REST DON'T YOU CRY NO MORE!!'

We both started to laugh. "That was fun" she got out in between laughs.

"I know"

It had stopped raining as I pulled up outside her house. She went to take her belt off, as she did I got out of the car and walked round to the passenger door as held it open for her. She stumbled as she was getting out of the car. I quickly put one arm around her waist and the other held onto her arm to stop her from falling.

"Nice catch. Thanks Damon."

"No problem Elena. Do you Want me to walk you to the door?"

"I would like that"

I walked her to her front door. We walked in silence. When we finally reached the door she pulled her keys out of her bag and unlocked the door.

"What don't I get a hug?" I put on a pouty face.

She turned to look at me and smiled "Sure"

Her hug was warm, kind. It was everything I thought it would be. I wanted to hold her there forever.

"Are you home alone?" I asked concern washing over me.

"Yeah. My mum, dad and brother are at work and my little sister is at my grans"

"If you need some company I'm here for you"

"I would like that"