TWENTY ONE

10:50 PM

Mark sat in his car, breathing heavily, his bloody hands shaking.

I need to get out of here.

He stared at the blood on his hands, Perez's blood.

What have I done?

The lab was up in flames. There was no sound of sirens yet.

Will I be able to get away with this?

Everything that he had just done was a blur. Mark shakily put his keys in the ignition and turned his car on, but he couldn't seem to focus his eyes. He was still coming down from the horrible adrenaline rush that he'd had only moments before. Absentmindedly, he began driving to the abandoned zoo where William Easton's game was currently happening.

As he did so, he thought about what had happened.

Let's start at the beginning...

5 PM

Hoffman began kidnapping people early. It was risky, but he had drove around to their addresses and luckily most of them lived close to Umbrella Health, where they worked. It surprised him that Pamela was William's sister, but he had left her a message giving her Jill's address, so he knew where she was going to be.

Getting everyone had left him exhausted. It took him hours. He'd risked being seen, but he made sure to stick to back alleys. The scariest part was actually getting them out of their houses and apartment buildings while going unnoticed.

By the time he would get back with two more people, the others would wake up and begin yelling for help. When this happened, he would have to drug them all again, over and over, until he had everyone in their games and set up.

When he snuck into Umbrella Health to grab William Easton, he had anticipated security. However, as if God--or something else-- was helping him out, Easton shot the security guard straight in the chest. It gave him enough time to sneak up on him and stick him with a sedative.

He was exhausted, but the adrenaline had kept him on such a high that he barely noticed. When the game eventually started, it was around 9:55pm.

10 PM

It was around this time that Hoffman made his way to Jill's apartment. He had told Pamela she'd be home around 9, so he planned it out to where she would be in Jill's apartment building for him to abduct. This was not difficult, considering her building had no security and the man at the front desk was nowhere to be seen.

It was almost as if everything was going too well.

Could he really pull this off without any hiccups?

The game was scheduled to end at 11 PM, so he got Pamela there as quick as he could. He was only there for a few minutes before he was called to the station with an update on the Seth Baxter tape.

When he got to the station it was around 10:32. He was told that the voice on the tape was intentionally distorted, and that they were attempting to unscramble it due to it not matching the voice of John Kramer.

There were 24 minutes left of the game.

The lab was minutes away, the lab that would soon discover his voice.

10:40 PM

"Right now you're feeling helpless."

Mark noticed the irony but was too on edge to really think about it. The short haired tech named Sachi was sitting at her computer, working with the tape, on the verge of descrambling his voice.