𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏

June 7th 1988
~~~~~~~~~~
Jamies POV
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I sat on my bed, gazing at my empty room, wondering why my mom decided to move at the beginning of summer. I didn't even get to spend time with my friends before we had to pack up and leave. I wish we could've played one last game of baseball with them.

My thoughts were interrupted when I heard my name being called.

"Jamie, bring the rest of the boxes into the car! We're leaving in one hour!" My mom called out loudly

Sighing, I got up, grabbing the last box in my room, giving it one last glance before I headed downstairs.

"Here" I say sighing, handing her the box to put in the truck.

"Jamie, what's wrong," my mom asks.

"Do we really have to move today out of all days? Couldn't we at least wait I don't know! a MONTH?!"

" Jamie, you need a fresh start. "

" Mom, I don't need a fresh start! I just wanna stay here with my friends, play baseball and go to the mall. I don't wanna move all the way to California and start all over again!"

" Jamie, honey, it will be good for you."

"Yeah, I bet," I replied, rolling my eyes as I turned around and returned upstairs.

I go back into my room and glare at the wall. I stand there, wondering why my mom wants a fresh start. We've lived in North Carolina for 10 years now. Why do she want to leave all of a sudden?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The hour gradually passed by, and the drive to California was nearing. I was now in front of my best friend Marie's house, waiting for her to open the door. When she finally opened it, I practically knocked her over, giving her a big hug.

"God I don't want you to leave," she says

"I don't either, but my mom wants a "fresh start," I reply, frowning.

"Well do you wanna walk around the town one last time?" she questions

"You know me so well," I exclaim, beaming.

We start walking around and get ice cream. I saw some of my other friends and told them Goodbye. I watched my friends play one last game of baseball before Marie, and I were back in our neighborhood. It was almost 7 o'clock, and I knew I had to get going.

"Marie, it's almost seven. I gotta go," I said, tears filling my eyes.

"Please don't go, Jaime. I don't know what I'm gonna do without you. It's so boring down here!!"

" I don't know either. I wish I could hide here instead of going home, but we all know how that would go," I joke, trying to get a smile out of her.

"Yeah I know," Marie says, smiling weakly.

I go up to her and hug her one last time as salty tears flow down my cheeks.

"Don't have too much fun without me, " I say, giggling sadly.

"I wont, remember to call me every day!" She responded, starting to cry.

I will," I swore, letting go of her and standing up straight.

" I gotta go, Marie. I promise I will call you every day, and hopefully, I can come and visit soon," I add.

"Okay," Marie says, sniffling her nose. I give her one last hug, returning home or at least what I used to call home.

I finally get to my house, seeing my mom has all the boxes in the car. I felt bad that she had to fill up the truck all by herself.

"Jamie," my mom says

Yeah?" I reply

" Check your room to make sure you didnt leave anything. We're leaving in a few minutes." She said

"Okay," I said, about to turn away.

" You packed a bag for the road, right?" She questioned once again

"Yes mom," I replied irritatingly and finally headed up the stairs.

I look around my room one last time before I leave forever. I head back downstairs and look around my memory filled childhood home for the last time before I get into the car.

"You ready, honey?" my mom questions as she starts the engine

"Its now or never.." I respond

I grab my Walkman, put the headphones in, and start listening to I Hate Myself for Loving You by Joan Jett as the sun starts to set, and a little while later I slowly drift asleep with the music still playing in my ears.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(783 words)

Ahh hi so this was the first chapter of my book I hope you enjoyed! and I wanna say I don't know my uploading schedule yet but once I know what my schedule is i'll let you all know!