Chapter Five: Just Kiss Me

Warning: sexual content

13th February 2010, Bette and Tina's house

When Tina awakes the next morning the room is spinning and her head is pounding ferociously. She digs the heel of her palms into her eyes as she rolls over, groaning. She reaches out to Bette's side of the bed only to find the sheets cold.

"Hey," a voice emirates from across the room. But it's not Bette, Tina thinks. Then all memories of the previous night begin to come flooding back. Then it hits Tina that it is Monday and she works on Mondays.

"Oh god, what time is it?" Tina sits bolt upright then steadies herself, gripping the mattress as she goes dizzy.

"Just gone eight," Alicia says, leaning against the doorframe. Only then does Tina realise that little Angie is stood beside Alicia, holding her hand.

"Coke and give Mommy a hug," she says to Angelica, throwing back the covers. Angie instantly clambers up onto the bed and launches herself at Tina. She winces, feeling far too fragile to be manhandled by a four year old right now. "Shall we get you to nursery?" She says, holding her at arms length and combing her fingers through Angie's matted hair.

"We really need to get a move on, um, can I give you a lift to somewhere on the way or?" Tina asks Alicia who is silently admiring them both from the doorway.

"Oh no don't worry. I actually have a couple of things to cover with Bette so you guys carry on. How about I go make some coffee?" She suggests.

Tina thankful accepts as she hops out of bed and dashes into the bathroom with Angie. Getting herself and Angie ready in record time she throws on a simple pant suit and knocks back a couple of Advil quickly. And to think she was worrying about Bette developing a drinking problem and now Tina was the one with the hangover from hell on a Monday morning.

Tina leaves Angie to go find pick out a book for nursery and heads for the kitchen to pack her bag. Just as she is heading in, Tina hears Bette come in through the front door. She pauses and listens as she talks quiet to Alicia.

"So she wasn't upset or anything? That wasn't why she got drunk?" Bette asks, clearly concerned.

"No, no I don't think so. In fact she seemed really happy. We had a really good time," Alicia explains.

"Ok good. I just- well I said some things last night and I wasn't sure whether she was upset or not. I just wanted to check, that's all. But I'd appreciate it if you didn't mention that I'd asked."

"Sure. Of course. Is everything okay between you two?" Alicia asks. Tina can sense the nervousness in her voice even from the next room.

"Oh no, we're totally fine. Better than ever," Bette says quickly and enthusiastically, a little too enthusiastically perhaps.

"So, you and Tina were friends through high school?"

"Best friends, yeah," Alicia clarifies.

"So, what was she like back then? What was Tina like as a teenager?" Curiosity gets the best of Bette as she can't help but ask.

Tina glances at her watch, it's half eight now and she needs to leave immediately to make it in time for her 9:30am meeting. But she also desperately wants to hear what Alicia has to say.

"Sad. She was always so sad. But so hardworking too. She let all of her feelings motivate her and she was always so determined to build an incredible life for herself. And I guess she succeeded. She was such a good friend too. You'd always know that she had your back. Like, she was always properly dependable y'know?"

Tina can't help but well up a little. She's not sure whether it's the hangover making her sensitive or her hormones, but she's both touched by Alicia's compliments as well as desperately saddened by the reminder of how she once was.