chapter twenty six - xis ytnewt retpahc

Start from the beginning

My feet weren't touching the ground and my hair was lifting, like black ink spilling in air and it was pointed in different directions.  Paper was spinning around and gusts of wind ripped past my cheeks.  I didn't feel myself move and I was now standing in front of the punching bag.  Heat bubbled in my fists and I slammed them into the punching bag.  I could hear the sand crunching within the sack.  I felt Jessie My hands were blurs and my knuckles were peeling.  Muggy sweat dripped off my temple.  The drop of salty beads hit the floor.  It rang in my ears.  My fist sunk into the sand, penetrating the rough sack.   

"Your punches are horrendous," a female voice said.  I neglected the insult and slammed more hits.  Jessie circled around, eyes soft with a hint of edge as she was on the other side of the bag.  Wanting to knock her in the nose, I swung it harder, but her small hands caught the sack.  "Stop."

With the last hit, my arms fell to my sides.  My sharp gaze held her black curls that spiralled off her shoulders, envying her effortless beauty.  She took my wrists and I flinched, her skin freezing.  Almost as cold as Romane's.  Her soft brown eyes examined my hands.  I glanced down and noticed my bleeding knuckles, painfully sore and throbbing. 

Holding a bandage, she did a tight wrap around them and I bit back a wince.  She lifted my wrists and opened her mouth.  I lost my breath when her fangs gleamed before ripping the bandage from the role, tying a secure knot. 

Fangs.  I stumbled back, my hands yanking at my hair in fear.  She was identical to me.  I tripped over something and fell back, the papers picking up again.  They rose and Jessie smiled down at me.  She put her hand out to help me up.  I stared at her hand, shock paralyzing my movements.  "Take it," she whispered. 

I glanced up at her face, and noticed the forced creases on her laugh lines.  Dark splotches dotter her skin and black scales appeared on her arm.  Horror cast over her face and I watched her eyes darken, brows arching and I flinched at the sound of her nails snapping, claws remerging.  She screamed and I tried pushing away, seeing my shadows cast around her, black and white lights fighting to fill the room. 

The lights were moving and I tripped, stumbling away and fled to the bed.  I caught one glance at Jessie and saw Alice and both of them and heard screams and saw a lot of red and immediately dropped my head into the crinkled silk.  I wanted to bury myself but the room grew hot and the sweat picked up along with this musty stench of death.  I felt something sharp claw at my legs and looked down to see my skin unravelling.  I tried kicking at the invisible claws and tossed and turned but I was shredding, my arms peeling, torso and neck.  They were sharp and stung and suddenly Hell's teeth scraped at the open flesh, my final scream stretching before I allowed the darkness to swallow me. 

+

I woke up dead.  Nothing worked but my eyes.  They swept over the room; red stained the walls, smearing over in harsh streaks.  Posters and magazine papers were shredded and cast across the carpet.  Pieces of the glass mirrors sprinkled over top, a dresser toppled over and clothes cut and looked to be thrown.  Sand was spilled and what was left of a ripped open punching bag drooped over the desk. 

I craned my neck more and saw the door still shut.  Warmth rushed from my head down to my toes and I felt my muscles working again.  My bones coming to life, my breath now audible.  I sat up and it was almost a déjà vu.  I felt the same.  I swung my legs over the bed and pressed my feet down.  Instantly, a strong energy flowed through my step.  I pressed the inside of my hand to my head and noticed my mind was not groggy like how it usually was when I woke up.  It was at peace, silent—clear.  I fully stood up now, each step I took awakening this strength.  I walked on the glass, the sharpness feeling like nothing.  I kept walking until I reached the door and slowly, I turned the knob and stepped out. 

Grim was slumped against the wall, his head rolled to the side with heavy breathes.  Isaac was on the other side of the door, asleep and sitting on a foldup plastic chair, his head leaning on his own shoulder.  Levi was asleep on the couch, his wings hanging off. 

I met the only pair of awake eyes and saw the restless look in his tired eyes.  Then he sensed the energy and flinched a bit.  Cameron said, "Well?"

I didn't say anything.  He knew the answer.

But he didn't know this.

"Lord Death isn't taking the war to the city. It won't even be on land."

+++

A/N: Don't worry, I know where I'm going with this story.  It wasn't a filler—actually a very important part.  Please don't get lost in the story—the plot is still webbed into this chapter as well as the future ones.    

Please vote and comment—I want to hear your thoughts.

Xx8tracks