Chapter 11 - In a Small Package

Comincia dall'inizio

Daisu: "Alright, let's go, Pip! Winner disarms opponent! Your sword hits the ground, you lose."

Gwen: "Ha! You're on!"

We often spar for training or fun, especially on Skill Build Day, and it was normal. But this time, I noticed everyone had stopped their own thing and gathered around us.

Gwen: "Daisu, why's everyone watching us?"

Daisu: "They're just spectating your test."

Gwen: "Test? What test?"

Daisu: "Up there. Brook and Captain are surveying your skills."

Gwen: "Oh?"

Daisu: "Y'know. To see if you're ready for the real deal."

Surprised, I backed up and lowered my guard.

Gwen: "Wait, really?!"

Daisu: "Haha, don't get distracted now!"

He charged forward and I was back in the fight. But now I was excited! This is it! My chance to prove to everyone I'm ready for a real sword. It filled me with a sense of determination.

Gwen: "Don't go easy on me."

Daisu: "Wouldn't dream of it."

There were a lot of close calls. Based on the reactions of the crew, it was an intense fight, especially because everyone knew what was at stake. At one point, he flung my sword out of my hand, but I managed to catch it before it hit the ground, causing the crowd to go wild.

Daisu: "Nice catch, pip. But you won't get another."

Gwen: "Ha, we'll see."

I managed to hold out for some time because I was small and quick, also because I had more stamina than him. I got him on the defensive a couple times and almost managed to get his sword. But unfortunately, he was right. He flung my sword out of my hand and held his to my throat, smirking. I knew I couldn't do anything because were this a real fight, and that a real sword, I'd get cut trying to catch mine again. My sword hit the deck and with that, the fight was decided. The crew cheered as we caught our breaths and shook hands.

Gwen: "Good fight, Daisu..."

I try to act like a good sportsman, but I don't feel any less disappointed.

Daisu: "Don't look so down, Pip. You know, they're not cheering for my win. They're cheering for your performance."

Gwen: "But I lost... I probably failed my test too..."

Daisu: "Heheh, I wouldn't be so sure."

He glanced up and I turned to see captain Yorki and Brook behind me.

Yorki: "Eternal Child Gwen of the Rumbar Pirates, as captain of this crew, along with your instructor..."

Brook: "that's me~"

I giggled as captain elbowed him, trying to keep this professional.

Yorki: "I hereby give you the right to fight with a real sword."

My excitement rose as Brook presented me with my weapon and everyone cheered.

Brook: "You have showed incredible potential and your combat skills have grown.

I took my new sword with two hands. However... I knew something was off when my first thought was...

Gwen: 'Holy crap, this is heavy!'