VII

A day that was meant to be filled with life, laughter, love, and celebration, has become one of mourning, grieving, pain, and loss.

Princess Aemma Arryn died in her birthing bed, as well as her only son, Prince Baelon Targaryen.

Viserys is in a state of pure and utter shock. His wife, his darling wife, is dead... and it's all his fault. He's the one who agreed to have the maesters cut her open... and now both she and his son are gone.

Jaenys couldn't believe it when she heard. She couldn't believe that Viserys would be foolish enough to sacrifice his wife in hopes of the child having a cock. It's almost enough for her to throw him out of the castle... but then she looks at Rhaenyra, of whom is now without a mother. She couldn't bare to cast them out, especially when she has been the outcast for far too long.

Instead, the Queen offers her support to her family and stands by their side during a time of need. She stands with her two children and watches as Syrax steps forward and burns the pyre of which the Princess and Prince were placed on.

The funeral comes to a close, as does the day, and the Queen sits with her council as they bring up a matter that has been kept quiet for quite some time.

" Your grace... we would like to discuss the matter of your succession."

" What about it?" Jaenys questions sharply.

" You have no named heir, and if something will to happen--"

" My children have not yet reached their tenth name day and you expect me to name an heir before they're of age?" She challenges, " I will make the choice when the time is right."

" With all due respect, your grace," Otto starts, " Perhaps now is the right time."

" And who would you have me name as my heir, Otto?"

" Prince Viserys Targaryen."

Jaenys is nearly shocked

Jaenys is nearly shocked. She never expected her elder cousin to be named.

" Viserys?" Jaenys asks, " Isn't the heir supposed to be younger than the current sovereign?"

" Viserys was one of the names considered when your father was decided his heir," Otto states, " I would imagine it would be wise to follow in his footsteps."

The Queen scoffs as she sits back in her chair. She has never had any love for her father, and certainly will not be following in his footsteps. She takes the words of her Hand under advisement, though completely unaware that he has sent his daughter on a mission to provide company to the Prince Viserys.

Jaenys then sits on a cushioned chair in her private chambers, watching as her twin children, Aelora and Aerys, play a game on the floor. She has always found solace in her children's company, but lately, their innocent questions have begun to weigh on her.