III

The Queen and King-consort find themselves to be less than happy about their new marriage. While they certainly don't hate each other, they're missing something.

Love.

They enjoy each other's company, but it isn't love.

They have wonderful chats and make each other laugh, but it isn't love.

They share a bed in hopes of producing an heir, but it isn't love.

Jaenys and Gwayne try again and again and again for an entire year to produce a child, but soon enough, their work pays off.

Queen Jaenys is with child once more, where her belly grows and feet swell. Her husband is there to support her but does so more for his unborn child than his wife. Her pregnancy continues, making it more difficult for her to be present during the council meetings, but Otto insists that he can take care of it.

" Are you sure?" Jaenys ponders, " I can still be present--"

" It is no trouble, your grace," Otto interrupts, " I am more than happy to warm your set while you rest," he smiles, " I pray this pregnancy will be easier than the last."

" Thank you, Otto," She smiles.

The Hand of the Queen bows his head before he turns to leave her be. Jaenys is miserable in her chambers, surrounded by countless maidens and being poked by the maesters, who claim they are only there for her benefit.

Gwayne is nowhere to be found during the near end of the queen's pregnancy. Her feet have become so swollen, that she can barely walk. She is bound to her bed and stuck inside. Her sweat is ice-cold to the touch. Each time a bath is drawn, the water becomes near freezing the moment she steps inside. It's a mystery that circles around the servants and maesters, one kept from the Queen herself.

But then, the labors come.

The young queen hollows and cries as the babe breaches. She begs for milk of the poppy, she begs for anything to take the pain away.

Her husband is back in Oldtown, and the family within the Red Keep doesn't care. The only people who are present for the birth are the servants and maesters, and after hours and hours of pain and pushing... the babe's cries are finally heard.

Edys Hightower is born to the Queen, of whom would be the king that brings an end to the Targaryen dynasty, a disservice to the ancestors that came before her.

Edys holds the name of a Stark and belongs to House Hightower, yet now is the next in line for the throne.

The Queen is overjoyed as she holds her son in her arms. She's enamored, she's so happy as she gazes upon his little face. She's happy that she finally has a child, and has someone who will take the burden away from her.

Gwayne arrives the following morning, excited to meet his son, but disappointed once he hears the name

" Edys?" He questions.