Toxic

I tapped my long, pointy fingernails on my phone as I texted my unfaithful fiance

I tapped my long, pointy fingernails on my phone as I texted my unfaithful fiance. My client just got done from underneath the dryer. “I told you, Ms. Jocelyn, your hair wasn't going to take long to dry under the dryer,” I said, with a smile.

I was always professional and had a positive head space when I did my client's hair. I make sure that my clients feel like a queen. I like to know each of my client's names and even get in their business a little. The down part was my jealous fiance, thinking every male client wanted me.

Damn, my bad. Let me introduce myself. I'm Amelia Davis. I'm 27 years old, and I'm the coldest hairdresser in Franklin, Louisiana. I work at a shop called Unique's Touch. My mother is the owner and soon I'll be taking over.

 My mother is the owner and soon I'll be taking over

(Amelia sister)

“Meli, I don't understand why you continue to deal with his bullshit.”

“Sis, you already know why.” I rolled my eyes at her.

God! I hate my life right now. So much hurt and pain, and the one I thought was going to be my protector turns out to be my monster. 

As I did my client Ms. Jocelyn's hair, thoughts of our life together came to mind, and I began to have second thoughts. As always I begin to second guess my decision whether or not I can make it and this thing called life without him  “You need me, Meli. You can't make it in this world without me, Meli.” Those words penetrated my soul. 

“Hey, Meli. Girl, are you even listening to me? I said, you need to leave him, sis. You can do bad all by yourself.”

“I don't think I can, sis. Maybe I'm overreacting. I mean, I didn't see anything and Yoshan was with his friends. For all I know, it could be one of theirs.” My sister, Gina, looked at me like I was the stupidest bitch alive.

“Amelia Grace Davis, I love you, but please don't be dumb for this nigga. First of all, he couldn't even explain why they had two empty condom wrappers in the backseat of the car. Second of all, you said it yourself that it smelled like a female was in the car. Third of all, if he wasn't guilty he would've never hit you. That alone should be a reason for you to leave his ass.” I hold my head down in shame.