After The Storm - 5

"What is she still doing here?", Meerab asked gritting her teeth when she caught sight of Haya near the front door. They had finally reached the Khan mansion. The place evoked some mixed feelings in her. She had lost her identity, found love and then lost it again here. The word bittersweet suited this place well. She was dreading meeting Ma Begum and her biological father in spite of Murtasim's reassurance.

She had started towards the door first as Murtasim was busy consoling a slightly grumpy Sana. She didn't like long travels. Her nap time getting interrupted wasn't helping either. Her eyes softened. But Murtasim didn't seem to mind if Sana was happy or sad, he took every chance he got to hold her, feed her and even change her diapers. He hadn't batted an eye when she had asked him sarcastically if he wanted to change her. He just went for it and did it perfectly. She rolled her eyes, such a show-off.

And her Sana...her Sana was growing fond of her father too. She had been a quiet baby who didn't much care for strangers but somehow she didn't mind her father's presence. Bizarre. Maybe her daughter can sense her father. 

In fact she had specifically asked for him one day when he hadn't shown up. She shook her head recalling her daughter's demands as she waited near the door and called for her "Da". Meerab had taught her the word with one of Murtasim's picture. But it surprised even her when Sana had used it the first time. She had been so comfortable with it. Like she had been waiting all this time for the opportunity to use the word.

Murtasim had cried hugging his daughter when Sana had first called him 'da'. She couldn't help soften towards this complicated man who yearned for a little girl's affection as if it meant the world to him. Maybe it did. If she had been in his shoe's she might have done the same thing. She was secretly glad she wasn't. She had been contend if not happy for the past two years only because of Sana, but Murtasim didn't have that reprieve either. She wondered if he had missed her at all.

It was in the middle of these thoughts that she had caught sight of the one person she had specifically asked to be kept away from her. She turned towards her husband, she shuddered, she didn't think she would ever get used to that again. Murtasim too looked surprised seeing Haya there. "What are you still doing here Haya? I told you to stay with aunt Beena, didn't I?", he asked with his jaw clenched holding his daughter.

Haya didn't reply but kept looking at the little girl in her Murtasim's arms. Why? No matter what she did Meerab managed to come back into his life and this time... she has their daughter too. How is she going to separate Murtasim and Meerab with that child here? "I am asking you Haya", Murtasim yelled at her.

"I am the one who asked her to stay Murtasim", Ma Begum said as she came from behind her. Meerab stepped back accidently bumping into Murtasim. She couldn't help the fear that threatened to overwhelm her as the memory of Ma begum slapping her and accusing her of unimaginable things rushed through her mind.

Murtasim placed an arm around her trying to steady her. He gritted his teeth noting the fear in Meerab's eyes. They had managed to do that to her. "Why Ammi?", he asked angrily. By now Ma Begum was staring at the child in Murtasim's arms. When the child looked her way, she gasped. That eyes...it couldn't be, could it?...had Meerab been telling the truth then?...No Haya couldn't take told such an outrageous lie, could she...but that eyes and...her breath hitched. No...It couldn't be...Her smile....God what had she done. She thought desperately frightened all of a sudden.

"Ma, what happened?", Murtasim asked concerned seeing her sudden change in expression. "Nothing, nothing", she managed to say holding herself steady by supporting herself on the wall nearby. "We should go inside and talk about this", she said finally keeping her voice calm.