After The Storm - 2

Meerab started walking away quickly not caring about her belongings. She just wanted to get away from there. She could feel herself starting to tremble and tears were pooling in her eyes. His presence still managed to shake her up even after all this time, she thought bitterly. She's not going to give him that power again. She's done being a doormat.

Suddenly she felt herself being pulled by her arms into a hard chest. She gasped shocked. Sana let out a cry in protest. She came face to face with a enraged Murtasim. His eyes were shooting daggers at her. She felt herself go rigid in his grip. She snatched her arms from his grip and stepped back.

"Meerab", he said with clenched jaws. She gave him a defiant look preparing herself for whatever was coming. Sana looked scared sensing her mother's fear. Meerab patted her comfortingly. "Are you going to explain yourself?", Murtasim asked with tightly wound control. "Explain what?", she asked just as calmly.

"Who is the child in your arms?", he asked with a calm he didn't feel inside. He didn't like the look of fear in the little girl's eyes. He hadn't meant to scare her. "She's my daughter", Meerab said deadpan. Murtasim knew it was coming but still it felt like a lightning had struck him. He managed to calm himself enough to ask the question that was eating away at him for a while.

"Who's the father?"

---------

Meerab looked at him speechless. He had some nerve alright. Did he really think she was a slut who slept around? And besides he knew everything, then why was he asking her all these questions?

"No one. The only thing that matters is she's mine. If that's all, excuse me", she tried to leave but Murtasim continued, "It matters to me. Tell me. She's mine, isn't she?", he asked knowing it was the truth. He had known deep down it was his daughter when he had looked at her eyes. It was the same ones that looked back at him in the mirror every day.

Meerab looked at him for a while confused by his words. Was he playing dumb? Why was he acting like this. "By that if you meant if you are the biological father of my child, then yes", she said finally. Mutasim felt his knee give way. Meerab was startled, what was he doing?

----------

Murtasim couldn't wrap his head around what had just happened. He had a daughter. A daughter he knew nothing about. How could she hide something like this from him. He ran his hands through his hair trying to straighten his muddled thoughts. After everything she did to him, how could she take away something so precious too?

He got up on trembling legs and stepped towards her. She looked frightened. She should be, he thought madly. Just then his daughter patted her mother's cheeks trying to get her attention saying, "Mama shad". His heart ached looking at his little girl. He badly wanted to take her into his arms and hold on to her tightly. But..but he didn't want to scare her by forcing her either. Patience, he breathed deeply. He needed patience. He gritted his teeth looking at Meerab as she smiled reassuringly at the little child.

"Why did you hide my daughter from me Meerab?", he asked suppressing his rage. If his daughter hadn't been there he didn't know what he would have done to his ex-wife now. "Hide?", Meerab asked narrowing her eyes. "What do you mean?", she asked. "It means exactly that, why did you hide the fact that I have a daughter from me?", he yelled at her.

-----------

Meerab rocked the now crying Sana and tried to get her bearings. "Can you please keep your voice down Murtasim. You are scaring her", she whispered harshly glaring at him, "And what do you mean I hid her from you? You didn't want her, remember?", she said with a catch in her throat.

"What nonsense are you talking about? Why would I not want my own daughter? Are you crazy?", he asked trying to keeping his voice down for his now crying daughter. Her tears hurt him. Meerab laughed disbelievingly, "Seriously how much more clear can you be Murtasim? Did you already forget you renouncing our relationship completely in front of all those people?", she asked sarcastically.

Murtasim looked away from her for a second remembering the broken expression of hurt and betrayal in her eyes when he had ended their marriage, "I rejected you, not my daughter", he said finally. Meerab controlled the fresh wave of pain his words caused and said, "Really? Then why did your mother say you did? And what about blocking all my calls after sending a measly text about not wanting our child? Was that a lie too?", she asked with an fake sweet smile.

Murtasim looked at her confused. "What the hell are you talking about? Maa would never do that. And I never texted you". Meerab looked at him with hurt in her eyes. She didn't fully understand what was going on but she knew he will never trust her, just as he didn't that fateful day from long back. She calmly took out her phone, scrolled through something and extended the phone towards him.

-----------

Murtasim slowly took the phone from his ex-wife's hands. It was a text chain, he recognized his number. But the words? He hadn't sent them! God, he had never even seen them. What was going on? He scrolled a little to the top and saw Meerab's text. I am pregnant. Why hadn't he seen them? And who the hell had replied back? He thought feeling confused and angry looking at the last text from his number.

'When I asked you leave my life, it meant I'm breaking ties with everything related to you. I don't want even the memory of you in my life, that includes your child. Stay away from me and my family'

After that text someone had blocked her number. Murtasim looked from the phone in his hands to Meerab looking lost. She took the phone from his hands, "Judging from your reaction, they played you too", she scoffed disbelievingly. "Based on my experience let me give you some advice Murtasim. Your innocent cousin Haya would have done something highly questionable to get to you and your mother would have helped her believing it's for your own good. Maybe you should talk to your family about this", she said bitingly.

He remained silent. What could he say? Someone close to him had put them in this mess. Someone had snatched his time with his daughter away from him and he had been ignorant all this time. "I have to feed her", Meerab mumbled softly suddenly feeling drained and walked away.

Murtasim watched her leave with his daughter who rested on her shoulders now. The little girl looked back at him and waved. Murtasim managed to lift his arms that felt like lead and waved back. He smiled at her even as silent tears were flowing down from his bloodshot eyes. He had forgotten to ask his daughter's name, he thought as a ray of sunlight hit him in the eyes.

Hello guys,

I am not quite used to writing angst yet. But I do hope the emotions came through. Do vote if you liked the update and leave your comments/feedbacks as I will be continuing this story based on the responses.

If you are interested please check out my other

Fanfiction- Shunned@

https://www.wattpad.com/story/339095224-shunned

Tere Bin OS Compilation

https://www.wattpad.com/story/338650162-tere-bin-os-compilation

Thanks for reading!