More Than Enough

"Have you seen Jennie?" I asked Taehyung. He was sitting on the couch with my sister and brother-in-law watching some show.

"I think she's upstairs with the girls," Irene answered.

I walked up the stairs in search of Jennie. I heard delighted giggles once I peaked the staircase and navigated to the girls' room. I knocked, out of politeness, then cracked the door open. All of the girls, at once, screamed that I couldn't come in, but I got one good look at Jennie before they all rushed to close the door. She had a wild grin on her face and the girls were giving her a makeover. Yeji was braiding Jennie's hair, Ryujin was trying to put makeup on her face, and Lia was painting-well not her nails, exactly, but more like her entire hand.

"When can I come in?" I asked them through the door. I heard giggles and discussion on the other side.

"When we're done making Aunt Jennie pretty!"

Aunt Jennie. It made my heart sore. Aunt Jennie. I wanted them to call her that forever; I wanted her to be their aunt.

"Okay, I'll wait downstairs with your parents."

"Okay!" came their giggled reply.

I walked back down the stairs and plopped down on the couch, grabbing a handful of chips from the bag Taehyung snacked on.

"Where's Jennie?" he asked.

"Getting a makeover. So act surprised when she comes down," I answered.

"Oh no," Irene said, shaking her head. "That poor girl. She's a trooper."

"She looked great," I laughed. The last thing I saw before the door closed was her lipstick, which made her look like she had a clown mouth.

The girls ran down the stairs a while later, all giggles and proud smiles.

"Everyone!" Yeji announced. "Close your eyes!"

We obliged, and dutifully covered our eyes with our hands while they led Jennie down the stairs like Cinderella herself. When Jennie was in position, Yeji allowed us to open our eyes. It took everything within our combined power not to laugh. We somehow managed to tell the girls how great a job they'd done.

Jennie's hair was in a messy braid, loose strands falling out all around her face. Her mascara was all over her eyes. Her eyeshadow was blue. Her lipstick-bright red -was a mess all over her mouth. Lia proudly lifted Jennie's hands to show her nails, which were usually so carefully manicured, but were now covered in a mess of red polish all over her hands. The girls also made her tie a white sheet around her body like a dress.

"Wow," I said. "Girls, she looks beautiful- stunning-radiant! We need your help the next time we go out. You can be Jennie's personal fashion assistants."

The girls seemed delighted by this and Jennie smiled at them and agreed. "I'm just no good at this stuff. You guys did amazing. You'll have to show me to do all of this."

Irene beamed at Jennie and while I knew she already liked her, I think this really tipped the scale in her favor, and my sister told me so later that night.

"I really like Jennie," Irene said when we cleared the table later that night.

I smiled. "I do too."

"Seriously, though, Jis. Of all the girls you've brought home, no one even comes close to comparing to her. She's incredible. Mom loves her, too." Irene nudged her chin over her shoulder and we looked from the sink to the living room where my mom animatedly talked to Jennie, who had an easy and relaxed smile while she sipped her wine. Her heart beat just a little faster, knowing her family liked-no loved -Jennie.