chapter ten

Romeo's kiss tasted like the vanilla Chapstick I sacrificed to that caldron, like something too sweet to swallow. But I took another kiss because I didn't care anymore. His cool fingers grazed my cheeks like falling feathers and my chest squeezed so tight it threatened to snap.

It was terrifying to open another door that could lead anywhere. Maybe somewhere bad. Somewhere worse than where I was before. And yet, I clung to Romeo and his strong arms that were gathering me up to remind me that he was real and that he wanted me. He was desperate in his kisses, his touches and the way something primal inside of his chest was roaring to come out. It made my knees all wobbly and useless.

My ultimate form.

All kisses were different and I ranked them by how well they shook me. My first kiss ever was with Peter Lee on his parent's porch swing. It was one of those sticky hot summers and I was terrified of kissing him wrong that I didn't dare touch him. Kept my hands firmly clutched to my sides... but that didn't lessen the magic. I didn't get a full night's sleep for days.

This kiss weakened my senses, making everything simply white and hot and heart racing... but for whatever reason my thoughts lingered on a bad kiss. A nothing kiss. David's lips just brushing mine for the softest second, but managing to hit me like lightening, electrifying my skin, raising my hair and making my bones glow.

Imagine if we actually kissed.

No! No! I was kissing Romeo and he was doing that thing of grabbing my hair and I was all melted cheese again. He was really good at kissing. His confidence enraptured me and the way he didn't doubt a single moment. There was no hesitation. He slowly walked me backwards until my back hit the cool stone railing. Either the Radiant Bug lure was strong or this kiss was sweet enough to spin my brain into cotton candy.

Kissing granted me the power to see into the future, letting me watch our lives flicker by from our intimate forest wedding, the children we would have: two girls and a boy to my very own Magical Creature Sanctuary and Romeo at my side to help. My table was full with Romeo at the head, Nibbler and Daisy at their seats. I could see it like a roadmap to what would finally lead to my happiness.

Finally.

The doors from the ballroom swung open and my bones hit the ceiling of my body, causing me to break from the kiss. But Romeo didn't let me go, his hands as firm as ever. My eyes met David Hale as the light from inside poured out. The swell of strings and piano keys was booming and I could hear the chatter of the party again. David had a glare that made my insides squirm. Glancing at Romeo, I was stunned to see their scowls matched as if they bought them from an overstock sale.

David rushed over, letting the doors slam behind him as he made a beeline for me. In David's eyes, Romeo didn't even exist. It was just me. Just me that he touched, wrapping his hand around my wrist. The electricity popping from his skin had a certain bight.

"I need to talk to you." His eyes bore into mine while Lucien slithered from his collar and raised higher than David's head to hiss at Romeo. "Alone."

Pulling me from Romeo's arm, David made a move for the stairs that led to the garden, but Romeo grabbed my free wrist and I understood the plight of tug-a-war rope. A yelp flew out of my throat and finally, David graced Romeo with his attention, the same way a sniper locked onto his target before pulling the trigger. Panic bubbled inside of me and I quickly pleaded to Romeo. "It's okay! It's okay! David's my best friend."

The corner of Romeo's mouth quirked as his eyes flickered up at David. "Okay. I'll be here when you're done talking then. Play nice."

"Whatever," David grumbled. His hand slid down and tangled around my fingers. Too surprised to fight it, I let David drag me down the stone steps towards the garden and shimmering Radiant Bugs. The garden was lush, a world of tall green hedges and blankets of flower beds. Behind us, the stone wall was dripping with purple wisteria like springtime icicles.