Forever

The first of the month falls on a weekday, but Yuri is impatient as always and doesn't want to wait another four days for you to be free from work to move in.

Since he can easily switch shifts with his co-workers at the bookstore, he takes charge of having your furniture brought out of storage and hauled into the tiny apartment.

However, it becomes very obvious very quickly that your collection will not comfortably fit. The sofa fits nicely, but only if the TV is mounted on the wall. The dresser doesn't fit at all in the bedroom, but surprisingly it fits in the hallway and makes a nice place for flowers and keys. The dining table may need to go altogether with the bar used in its stead.

And your double bed, as it turns out, is the absolute maximum that the bedroom can hold and still allow you to open the closet doors. Yuri doesn't mind cuddling close all night, but you had been insistent on purchasing a bigger bed with your next paycheque. That isn't looking promising.

Your kitchenware fills every cranny of the cupboards, but with some real-life Tetris, he makes it work. Your clothes, however - even after pairing down - easily overwhelm the closets, leaving no space for his clothes whatsoever.

To his delight, the oddly shaped nook in an awkward corner that only exists thanks to the whims of modern architecture fits his little, old desk perfectly, with just enough wall space to hang several shelves up to the ceiling for his textbooks.

When you arrive at your new home that evening after work, you're overpowered by a cornucopia of scents - the most pungent being sweat and burnt. Before you can process the others, your engulfed by Yuri's embrace.

"Nee-chan, Nee-chan, Nee-chan!!! Welcome home!!!!" he squeals and squishes you against his dirty apron. He's covered in marks and dust. There are Band-Aids on his fingers, and a hole in his pants that wasn't there yesterday. The bandana he wears to keep his fringe from sticking to the sweat rolling down his pretty face is lopsided too.

Half concerned and half deeply touched, you drag him down to meet your lips. He returns your affection eagerly, winding his arms around your lower back and holding you close. He doesn't take the kiss as far as you expected though - no backing you into the wall, no hoisting you up on his hips and carrying you off to the bedroom - and when he breaks away with a smile, you see why. Yuri looks absolutely exhausted.

"I'm home, Yuri," you murmur and kiss him again before following him as he pulls you along to the living space.

"I tried to cook dinner, but uh... I think I was too tired to pay attention. I burnt everything... so I ordered pizza." The apologetic frown he wears makes you giggle.

"I wondered why I smelt burnt fish, and burnt garlic, and burnt carbs. Did you try to make seafood pasta?" you query gazing at the pots on the stove, now soaking in hot water and baking soda.

He nods. "I called my mom for the recipe... and then I had to call her for how to remove stains from the pots... I hope I didn't wreck them... Also, I already ate most of the pizza because I was starving... I'm sorry, Nee-chan."

Turning around, you see him scratching his cheek and staring very intently at the floor. "Yuri, you're so sweet." Wrapping yourself around him and nuzzling into his t-shirt, you whisper, "Thank you for working so hard to make our first day at home together special. You did an amazing job. Every box is unpacked already. I'm really touched."

A bashful smile quickly replaces his nervous pout as he hears your praise. "Why don't you go take a bath while I eat and I'll join you once I'm done?" The curl of his lips instantly disappears as he presses them together in a straight line in at attempt to hide his embarrassment.