For the Better

Hand in hand, you walk out of the hotel lobby towards the station, a three-storey cafe on a nearby boulevard in mind. Yuri is nervous. It's obvious from the way his gaze darts from you to the shop signs, back to you and then elsewhere, that he's struggling to put his feelings into words he thinks you'll accept.

He's always been like this - crafting his requests with either an unnecessary amount of caution or recklessly demanding what he wants with no consideration. He's either sweet or pushy, thoughtful or thoughtless, obsessive or disinterested. He's never been very good at finding middle ground.

"Nee-chan, can I ask you for something? I know I'm always asking things of you, but I really want this..." you hear him mutter when you pause at a crosswalk for the light.

Squeezing his hand reassuringly, you look up over your shoulder and urge him to continue.

"Can we live together? I don't wanna get caught sneaking over your balcony every night. You were planning to get a place anyway, so can we stay together? I can pay rent and everything!"

The blatant fear in his eyes reveals his real concern isn't getting spotted hopping between buildings. He doesn't trust you on your own.

"I'll think about it, but no promises, Yuri."

An immediate mix of panic and despair paints his features, confirming your suspicion. He doesn't need to ask why for you to know that he wants an explanation.

"You're still in university. I don't want you to get distracted by me and do poorly in your classes," you begin when you reach the opposite side of the street.

"I won't! I promise!"

An exasperated sigh bridges the gap where your response should be. This is going to take far more convincing than you have energy for on an empty stomach.

"Let's talk about this after brunch, okay?" you plead, lacing your fingers through his and clinging to his arm.

He relaxes easily at your physical affection. How someone can be so simple and yet so difficult you have never been able to figure out.

Half an hour and too much money to be considered reasonable for waffles later, you sit by a window on the second floor of the popular cafe. Every table overflows with chattering university students, teenagers studying - or pretending to study, lovers on dates, moms with babies in tow, and friend groups of all varieties.

Caffeinated and starvation staved off for the time being, you don't wait for him to bring up the topic again only to have him beg you incessantly and block out anything you say.

"How are you going to study if we live together, Yuri? It's not like before when we both had homework to do. I wanna relax when I come home after a long day, watch TV and stuff... I'll just distract you, or I'll hold back and then I'll be grumpy."

"I promise I'll stay at the library and finish all my work before I come home!" he counters so quickly you know he's already thought through all his comebacks – many times over.

"Baby, that isn't practical. You're going to get hungry if you stay late at the library. You'll have to eat dinner out nearly every day. What's the point of living together if we don't even eat meals together?"

"What about breakfast...?" he asks, that kicked puppy look appearing instantly.

"I don't eat breakfast at home. The company provides meals at the cafeteria, so all employees eat there in the morning and at lunch. Which means, I won't be making you bentos either."

With a pout, he lies "I... don't take bentos... to university..."

Swallowing the sticky sweet dessert, you call him out. "Your mother takes a photo and puts it on her Instagram every morning, Yuri..."