| CHAPTER 8 |

The story they are reacting to was done beautifully by Rose_By_Another_Name on Ao3 and I sincerely hope you go read the story. 

https://archiveofourown.org/works/23828404/chapters/58045000#workskin

Third P.O.V

    "Severus sighed deeply as he poured himself another cup of black coffee and Minerva muffled a snort when he practically inhaled it." Many copied McGonagall's actions and Snape himself sighed. It seems that no matter what his coffee addiction isn't going away.

    "His summer had been so peaceful. No Potter, no Dark Lord, no children, well aside from Draco. He had spent half his time brewing potions, writing scathing entries and replies to Potions Weekly and the other half draining the Malfoy's expensive extensive collection of wine." Eliza looked at Blaise and the two burst into fits of laughter, their Snape still acted the same as this Snape did, and apparently it continues onto teenage Snape. Turning to look at him they voiced their thoughts aloud. Snape sneered at them and they laughed harder.

    "Lucius had been one of his closest friends at Hogwarts, steadfast in a way that the Lestranges simply weren't and that friendship had also grown with Narcissa who was definitely the more ruthless out of the two.

    It was the Black madness, he was sure of it. The only member it had seemingly passed over had been quiet and steady Regulus. Severus still found himself wondering what had happened to him sometimes late at night when his mind was half drowned in a bottle of whiskey. Perhaps the black family madness hadn't skipped him after all." Sirius turned towards Regulus, a pained look entered his eyes. Regulus refused to look at his brother, lest a tear slip painfully down his cheek. Eliza looked between the two and a glimpse of understanding passed through her eyes. These two have been through a lot and it seems that it won't end in peace for either of the two. She knew what happened to poor Regulus and it wasn't pretty.

    "Regulus come here, you too Sirius," The words were spoken as a demand and nobody in their right mind would refuse her. The two drifted towards her and she the two seats to her left, as Tom was on her right, and motioned for them to sit. They did so without hesitation, maybe it was because of the look on her face, maybe it was their need to be next to one another without repercussions, no one but them would ever know.

    "That did nothing to ease his worries when he remembered that Potter was also descended from the Blacks. It was not reassuring to think that brat might also be cursed with madness on top of her bad luck and mad Potter hair." Everyone turned to look at Eliza and James. The same questions ran through their heads and for once Eliza looked at James before answering the question running through their minds.

    "My Grandmother, Dorea, was a Black before marriage," She looked around and gave no more information despite the questions it left them with.

    "Severus reached across the table for another blueberry scone because the first day of classes always made him want to jump off the astronomy tower and he would be damned if he didn't let himself have his favourite breakfast before suffering that hell. He had just begun buttering his scone when he ran a cursory eye over the Slytherin table to see if there had been any shifts in power although he doubted it. Mr Blishwick had been the leader of every court he had been a part of since first year and he honestly doubted anyone from the 1st-3rd years would be interested in challenging Potter for -

    Severus had been a spy for 13 years, had been a member of the dark lord's inner circle for even longer and had been able to keep his loyalties from two of the most skilled legilimens of their time. Three if you counted himself for he tried to not analyse his own subconscious too deeply and preferred to crawl through life like a particular sardonic embittered flobberworm. He was a master of self-control and yet when he looked in the direction of the Slytherin table he actually dropped his knife in surprise." Many turned to Snape in surprise, even he himself looked surprised. They underestimated him, and that would be what would cost them in the future. Poor little Severus, can't defend himself from Potter, and then he turns into a spy for both sides of a long raging war. Oh how the tables have turned.