"Very true," Skye nodded, any rebuttal leaving her mind. Nina watched as she dove back into the pile, almost fascinated at the hacker's ability to pull out a few articles of clothing, picture an outfit and immediately discard it by tossing it to the back.

She continued like that for a moment before stopping on a pair of high-waisted straight-leg white jeans, and a silk crop top.

"This?" Skye asked, holding up the clothing. Nina looked at them for a moment, she liked the outfit but she wasn't too sure about showing skin.

Having her scars on display in SHIELD was much different than having them seen in New York.

"It's nice... thank you," Nina said with a soft smile as she took the clothes from her hands. Skye looked at her confused, sensing her nerves.

"You okay, Nina?" Skye asked, pulling Nina's eyes away from the clothes and to her face.

"Sorry?" Nina asked, there was a second of silence before Skye's question resonated with her, "oh, yeah I'm great."

"Nina?" the hacker said softly and for a second Nina thought about brushing away her concern before deciding to be honest. So she sighed loudly, before explaining.

"It's my scars," Nina said, moving the articles of clothing to the side to show the light discolouring on the exposed skin, "most times I don't care about them, don't even notice them. But I have these days where they are all I can see, where they look as bad as they did when I got them. Today is one of those days."

"Oh, I'm sorry," Skye said. There was more she wanted to say but she knew that Nina wouldn't want to go into detail and simply disclosing what was wrong was the most she'd do, so Skye just reached back into the pile of clothes, "I've got other shirts that'll look nice."

"No, it's okay," Nina said, halting the hacker's movements.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah," she nodded hesitantly, "giving in just makes the bad days last longer and I don't want to be in my head the whole time. I'll be uncomfortable for a bit but I'm sure Leo will serve as a nice distraction."

Skye grinned at this, holding back a laugh, "I can imagine, especially because he's going to be red-faced the entire date."

"He doesn't get that shy around me anymore," Nina chuckled softly.

"True, but Simmons said he used up most of his confidence just asking you out," Skye said with a teasing smile, "I guarantee at least an hour of zero eye contact."

Nina laughed, playfully shoving Skye's shoulder, before stepping back and moving towards her bathroom, "I'm gonna go try it on."

"I'll be here," Skye called out, "we'll decide on the shoes after."

"I'm wearing my combat boots."

"You are not wearing your battered combat boots," Skye shouted over the sound of her bathroom door closing, missing Nina's laugh because yes she absolutely was.

*

The sound of Nina's combat boots hitting the ground echoed through the jet as she climbed into the vehicle. The hacker had been very wrong about getting Nina out of her sturdy boots, but she respected the attempt. She had to give it to Skye though, Nina was convinced her fellow inhuman was right about the lack of eye contact she'd get. Fitz's cheeks instantly flamed when he noticed her and his eyes locked on the space just passed her head.

"Hi," Nina said softly as her boyfriend shot up from the seat he was occupying. She watched as his gaze trailed down her body and she inhaled softly, trying to ignore the insecurities in her head.